cloudy glasses out of the dishwasher

Discussion in 'Water Heater Forum, Tanks' started by Thatguy, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Thatguy

Thatguy Homeowner

and cloudy water out of the hot water tap.

Is there some way to fix this without replacing the water heater?
  2. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Pour some of that cloudy water in a clear glass...
    Does it slowly clear from the bottom to the top?
  3. Cookie

Cookie .

oh oh, Red, does your glasses get cloudy when the water heater is going? Plus, my heater sounds like a bunch of marbles at times. You can lie if you want, :)
  4. Cookie

Cookie .

I can take it trust me, lol. I have a warranty through my gas company it covers everything with a water heater, even lunch. :)
  5. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Cookie the sound you are hearing says your water heater should have been flushed long ago...
  6. Cookie

Cookie .

Yep. But, now since it is 15/16 years old, I think I will leave it alone. Just replace it when it goes. But, would that explain why my glasses are smoky looking? Just knowing what to tell company, :)
  7. Thatguy

Thatguy Homeowner

Bingo!
    ************x
  8. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

If it becomes clear after sitting, it could be air entrapment and has no effect on how your glasses look coming out of the DW. Some DW detergents will do that after long-term use as many are quite caustic. That's one reason they tell you to not put certain things in the DW. If you have hard water, it could be long-term buildup. Do you use a rinse agent?

Try using some CLR on one of the cloudy glasses to see if it clears up. Or, soak it in some vinegar for a couple of hours...see if it looks different after you rinse and dry it off.
  9. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Yup its air! Fugedaboudit...

Now about those glasses it will probably be a case of adjusting the amount of soap used and filling up that Jet Dry compartment...
  10. Doherty Plumbing

Doherty Plumbing Journeyman & Gas Fitter

Your gas company has a warranty on a 16 year old water heater? That's pretty damn good!!
  11. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Back in the day, my parents always rented their water heater from Essex County Gas. Sure, over the years that added up to a lot of $$, but it was no worries, mate. If it went out, they had a new one WITHIN THE HOUR!!!! Priceless!
  12. Thatguy

Thatguy Homeowner

OK, Tony :D
  13. Cookie

Cookie .

Here in the US, you betcha.

You can take a look see here, most gas companies offer these programs. The fees are nothing each month. Just one of the great things in the US.

http://www.dom.com/products/home-repair-programs/index.jsp
  14. Thatguy

Thatguy Homeowner

It's usually better to self-insure if you have the cash. Companies have to add admin costs to their calculation of likelihood-of-a-warranty-repair x cost-of-that-repair.
  15. Cookie

Cookie .

I have belonged to this program for several years now, and have used especially, the electrical several really, many times, again, just recently. I never had to pay a dime out of pocket. This is really cheaper than going to the doctor. I added the water heater a couple of months ago, since it is getting older. You can do that. Perfectly fine to. I consider this a great service considering the price of gas. It is well worth the buck a week for the water heater program.

I could do the electrical myself, but then I don't have the time or desire and this way it is done to specs, that I might not be aware of. They have pretty much rewired half my house and replaced, almost every ceiling fixture, and outlet. All for I think, 3.25 a month. Plus, I get the same electrician and he is the greatest man. I really like him.
  16. homer777

homer777 New Member

I had a cloudy glass problem, It was when i switched to Earth dish powder. I had to clean the glass with CLR to get of the residue.
  17. Thatguy

Thatguy Homeowner

CLR is food-grade rated?
  18. Cookie

Cookie .

Yeah, I tried scrubbing all mine by hand, but to no success. I might try the vinegar, I think HJ suggested. That might work. I use Cascade and I am pretty good about using the right amount but, can't hurt to try cutting back or using another kind either.
  19. Thatguy

Thatguy Homeowner

I think you have beaten the odds. Assuming a lump sum of several thousand to do all this, for each of 'you' there must be 10 or 20 other policyholders who have never filed a claim.
  20. Cookie

Cookie .

I always beat the odds. Quoting my dad, " you are smarter than you look." :)