clost flange too high

Users who are viewing this thread

cekiv

Reaction score
I've been enjoying reading through these forums... maybe you have some helpful advise for me as well. Doing some remodelling, I removed and disposed of an old toilet, removed the existing tile floor and underlayment down to the floor decking, which is 2x pine boards. I also was able to remove the original PVC closet flange by heating it up and wrestling it out from the existing 3" closet bend hub.

Now, I go to install my new TOTO, after finally finding a flange to fit the 3" hub (our local codes must all be 4" drain ??), and the existing elbow is too high for the flange pipe to rest on the floor when seated (we refinished the pine floor and are not tiling over it).

I have good access to the plumbing, as it is in the basement. The drain is 3" sched. 40. There is nothing upstream of the toilet. There is a vent stack after the toilet and before the toilet line drains into a longer 3" drain line.

The problem is, there does not seem to be room to lower the elbow, considering the vent stack won't budge down and I need to maintain the main drain slope (any idea what the minimum should be? 1/4" per foot?).

Are there any elbows made for a shorter clearance? Would it be better to go with a new 4" set up at the toilet?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A 4" pipe would have a longer elbow,and probably be worse. Yes, you need in the order of 1/4"/ft slope of the line. You might be able to take out the T where it goes into the main stack and lower it. Can you post a picture?

cekiv

Reaction score
photo

Thanks for your suggestions. Here is a photo of the drain configuration. There appear to be a lot of collars and bends, etc. in a short distance! Making it more of a challenge to find a place to splice in.

Attachments

• IMGP0055.JPG
    IMGP0055.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 459

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Did you ever resolve this? I'd probably have cut off the new flange so it would set deeper in the 90, and rest solidly on the floor.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Replace the ell with a sanitary tee that has a cleanout plug on one end... then you can have plenty of slope & room to work.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sometimes the shortest fitting is a street closet 90 and a 4" hub flange.
If needed, the hub can be cut to fit lower on the 90 bend.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

A 4 x 3 spigot closet bend will glue onto the 3" pipe and have a 4" "pipe" riser that can be cut off at the floor line. The proper flange will slide over the spigot and rest on the floor.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks