closet flange to closet elbow distance

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Pabs, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Pabs

Pabs New Member

hey all

I'm installing a new closet flange for my toilet and was wondering how far I can extend the vertical pipe under the flange?

I need the extra room to go under a beam I plan to install in the basement.

I drew up a quick diagram to show what I mean
    are both scenarios acceptable? which is better?

in option 1, what is the minimum for X?
    in option 2, what is the max for Y?

thanks

Pabs
    [​IMG]
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

riser

The right hand one with the longer riser would not upset inspectors like the left hand one might.
  3. Pabs

Pabs New Member

funny...I would have figured the contrary...

the one on the right it is then!

thanks!
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

toilet

Some inspectors would have a problem with the left one offsetting downward before the vent connection, even though it has no real bearing on the operation of a toilet.