Closet Flange Replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

mdekiss

Reaction score
Hello, I am tiling my bathroom floor and when I removed the toilet I found the current flange in pretty bad shape and am not sure what route to go to replace it. All the cast iron replacement flanges I looked at with the tightening gasket need to be bolted to the subfloor, however, if you look in the photo you can see that there is a hole in the concrete subfloor roughly the same diameter as the flange so I wouldn't be able to do that. My dad looked at it and went and got a pvc flange that inserts into the pipe and said all I had to do was fill the hole up with concrete and bolt it down. Correct me if I'm wrong but I didn't think you could just stick a pvc flange into a cast iron pipe. So is the lead/oakum route my only option or is there something else I could do?

Thanks!
20150325_193002[1].jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Lead/oakum would be the "best" route, but is the pipe long enough to even make a good joint. Normally, it would be impossible to remove the old flange without taking the lead out, but yours pulled off with the lead intact.

mdekiss

Reaction score
It is not clear what you have. Do you have a cast iron pipe that is 4 inch ID and is 1.4 inches below the surface of the finished floor, and that 1.6 inches of the outside of the pipe (4.5 OD) is clear of concrete? Or something else?

See https://terrylove.com/forums/index....toilet-flange-on-a-powder-room-remodel.60377/
Its a cast iron pipe (3.25 OD). There is about a 2 inch gap between the pipe and the edge of the concrete subfloor so there is no where to bolt the flange to

mdekiss

Reaction score
Lead/oakum would be the "best" route, but is the pipe long enough to even make a good joint. Normally, it would be impossible to remove the old flange without taking the lead out, but yours pulled off with the lead intact.
There is about 3 inches of exposed pipe...Im sure I could dig out a little dirt if I needed more. As for the lead being intact, I just beat on it with a hammer until the whole thing came loose

Reach4

Reaction score
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks