Closet flange question

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by JosephK, Jul 15, 2010.

1. JosephK

JosephK New Member

I'm tiling our bathroom floor and the closet flange, which is in good shape, is attached to the subfloor. Can I leave my closet flange attached to the subfloor and then tile around it? I know many people insist on putting it on the finished floor, but I'm getting conflicting advice.

I know I'm not going to remove the closet flange myself and am trying to avoid calling a plumber to do it. Am I taking some kind of risk if I don't install the flange on top of the finished tile and if I just tile around it?

Thanks for any suggestions.
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

In Washington State they tend to be tiled around.
    That means two wax rings, or whatever it takes to get a seal. You should feel the wax compress when pushing down the bowl.

You can also use the Fluidmaster Waxless seal, which is pushed onto the bowl before setting.
  3. JosephK

JosephK New Member

Thanks for your all your help. You guys are awesome on here!