closet flange options, old cast iron

Users who are viewing this thread

Eudmin

Reaction score
I've seen the PVC replacement closet flanges that either screw in to an old cast iron drain or have steel screws that you tighten to expand a rubber sleeve to seal to the inside of the cast iron pipe, but I think I need something a bit different.

I've got a cast iron toilet drain in my concrete basement floor. It looks like in 1933 the original toilet was installed without a closet flange at all. There are a couple of notches cut into the top of the pipe that two bolts are inserted in. Those bolts served as the bolts to hold the toilet to the floor. The center of the pipe is 10-5/8 from the wall.

A toilet with a 10" rough-in would work, but I can't use one of the skirted Toto models because right behind the toilet there's a french drain (4" wide ditch in concrete), so I need a toilet that doesn't go right back to the back wall on the floor.

I'm hoping to be able to put an offset flange in there to just move it out from the wall about an inch and then install a Toto Drake, but I can't find a replacement closet flange for the top of the old cast iron pipe that also has an offset. Do they exist or should I be looking for something else (like a plumber)?

Is this what I would need? If so, the tourque-set sounds ominous like I'd have to have access to the outside of the pipe (which is buried in concrete).

"Torque set 1" offset closet flange" on the plumbing supply.com site in the toilet flanges section

Thanks,

Alan

Last edited:

Eudmin

Reaction score
Been reading more of the forum here and searching on cast iron closet flanges. Seems like the old style of a closet flange had these cutouts for the bolts instead of the slots.

Sounds like the right thing to do is to call a plumber to come with a chisel and a lead-melter to reinstall a new cast iron closet flange.

Are there lead-sealed cast iron closet flanges that would offset the bolts by enough to squeeze the Drake in there if the existing bolts are 10 5/8 off the back wall?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks