Close to installing a new toilet BUT

Users who are viewing this thread

FatDaddy

Reaction score
the bolts that hold my current model down seem to be rotted out and the toilet itself is held in place by the surrounding tile.
What are my options if the bolts are no longer functional? I fear the unknown and shudder to think what the flange looks like!
Thanks in advance.
Alan

Possible replacement,Toto. Measurement seems to be 12".

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the surrounding tile was installed up to but not under the toilet, you've got a bigger problem...it is highly unlikely that a new toilet will cover the existing toilet's outline, there is no standard for that.

Assuming the flange is intact, just new bolts should be able to be slipped into the slots. If you get brass ones or stainless steel rather than plated, they should last a very long time. While you are at it, make sure that the flange is anchored to the subflooring well...ss screws are recommended here.

They do make repair rings that can be bolted down with a sealant between that can restore the slots so you can anchor the toilet.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
red_ring_03.jpg

We always use new closet bolts with new toilets.
The flange should have notches or slots for that.
If the flange is broken, then a repair flange may be needed.

Many of the new bowls have larger footprints than old.
You may be able to fine one that fits over.

soiree_angle.jpg

Toto Soiree, and example of a very large footprint.

drake_angle2.jpg

Toto Drake footprint

https://terrylove.com/pdf/cst744s_footprint.pdf

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks