Clogged well point

Users who are viewing this thread

BigV

Reaction score
I have a 30' dug well, with round cement casing. I just bypassed my pump to a water bottle and was stunned to see the pump run for 12 seconds rather than 12 minutes for each flush. I then concluded that there was something wrong between the pump and well. I then cut the 1 1/4" poly pipe in the well leading to the bottom, bypassed it with a foot valve and again, got 12 second fill ups. I concluded that the problem is the well point, probably clogged. I am currently using the water table water from the well which is yellow and dirty, as a work around. I tried to lift the old poly pipe out, but nothing doing. I looked at the bottom of the well and saw that the poly pipe is attached to a round screen canister about 4" wide and 8" long (dimensions as seen from surface). I then tried to inject 120 psi into the old poly pipe to clear the well point but nothing happened. I suspect that there is a check valve. Just wanted to know what is the canister for? How is the poly pipe attached to the well point? How to clear the well point if there is a check valve attached to the bottom of the well? Help!

Reach4

Reaction score
Well points are not used for dug wells, but foot valves often are.

Tell us more about your well and pump... well diameter, depth to water, etc.

Poly would usually be connected with a barbed connector and two worm gear clamps.

The canister could be some kind of pickup screen.

ThirdGenPump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have a 30' dug well, with round cement casing. I just bypassed my pump to a water bottle and was stunned to see the pump run for 12 seconds rather than 12 minutes for each flush. I then concluded that there was something wrong between the pump and well. I then cut the 1 1/4" poly pipe in the well leading to the bottom, bypassed it with a foot valve and again, got 12 second fill ups. I concluded that the problem is the well point, probably clogged. I am currently using the water table water from the well which is yellow and dirty, as a work around. I tried to lift the old poly pipe out, but nothing doing. I looked at the bottom of the well and saw that the poly pipe is attached to a round screen canister about 4" wide and 8" long (dimensions as seen from surface). I then tried to inject 120 psi into the old poly pipe to clear the well point but nothing happened. I suspect that there is a check valve. Just wanted to know what is the canister for? How is the poly pipe attached to the well point? How to clear the well point if there is a check valve attached to the bottom of the well? Help!

You aren't making a whole lot of sense or you are drawing incorrect conclusions.

If it's a 30' dug well that means it's an open pit. An offset pipe is the horizontal pipe between the house and well. A drop pipe is the vertical pipe in the well.

Take some pictures and maybe we can get a clue what you're looking at.

A well system uses a pressure tank to set the length of cycle for the pump. If you bypassed the pressure tank or the pressure tank is low on air or it's failed, the cycle for the pump would be very short as described and it would burn out the pump in short order.

In dug wells that get a long of physicals, sediment, roots, leaves frogs whatever it's common to put a screen around the foot valve. A foot valve is a check valve designed to go at the bottom of your drop pipe. To clean said screen you'd need to disconnect the drop pipe and pull it out of the well. The canister you are seeing is probably a screen.

If your pump is running a short cycle the problem has nothing to do with the well, screen, foot valve, drop pipe, offset pipe etc. A plugged screen would result in longer run times.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks