clogged vent stack

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Adam Myers, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Adam Myers

Adam Myers New Member

okay so I have that smells coming out of the toilet in the stack and I figured the vent pipe was clogged and it is. So I took the advice of some and tried the auger and that didn't work, I then use the garden hose with a high-pressure nozzle and turned the water on, the stack filled with water and has not gave yet, it's winter here so now I have two problems I still have a clogged event and it may be possibly frozen in the morning, what do I do?
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

If the auger did not work, assuming you used the correct one, then it might have been ice clogging it in the first place.
  3. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

You can use a shop vac to suck the water out of the top of the stack. Tape the hoses together good so you don't lose them in the stack.

Don't fall off the roof. Don't let the vacuum fall either.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

A short hose filled with water should siphon the water out.
  5. schustermarie54

schustermarie54 New Member

Maybe someone dropped a huge bomb with a bird sitting on the edge of the pipe and passed out from the fumes. All joking aside though i would imagine one sniff of the top of the vent gives a pretty good idea if its working or not. I always try to find something else to do when it comes time to work around a vent.