Clogged Kitchen Sink w/ Waste Disposal Unit

Users who are viewing this thread

John Thompson

Reaction score
I have a clogged kitchen sink drain. This kitchen sink has a waste disposal unit attached and seems to back up nearly completely (drain so slow you can't notice the water going down) but once the disposal is run it drains very quickly. After cleaning the trap I ran water through just the waste disposal unit into a bucket and it didn't seem to back up at all. I suspect there must be a clog somewhere in the drain pipe but why would it then drain so quickly with the disposal on? Any advice is appreciated!

Reaction score
Waste disposals usually clog pipes quicker, since users introduce all sorts of stuff into the drain other than greywater that normally wouldn't go in there.

Fatbergs usually clog kitchen drains from the area after the trap, all the way to the verticle.

If you have a modern p-trap, remove it by uncoupling the hand nuts at both ends of the trap. Don't try to auger it through the trap's plug, we want to reduce the bends of an auger path.

Auger ends usually get stuck from a bend. If you think this may be happening, try a simple 1/4" drain auger, they are more flexible than the drums.

I like to give hope to chemicals when they may be the last line of defense before digging up a trap encased in concrete. As for soft ABS that is easily accessed, it's simple and inexpensive to cut it all away with a new install.
9a2829f4-b750-4275-8737-c63632ab6b5a_400.jpg
FOG_clog_closeup-sm.jpg

Last edited:

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
A product which does work is called Bio Clean. Terry sells it on this site. It has bacteria and enzymes that "eat" the "fatbergs" (yummy!)

Takes a few days to a week or two but I've had great luck with this product as long as a drain isn't completely blocked. It also has instructions for cleaning out the disposer.

A little pricey ($50 as I recall last time I bought some here) but lasts years, safe, and effective.

Last edited by a moderator:

John Thompson

Reaction score
A product which does work is called Bio Clean. Terry sells it on this site. It has bacteria and enzymes that "eat" the "fatbergs" (yummy!)

Takes a few days to a week or two but I've had great luck with this product as long as a drain isn't completely blocked. It also has instructions for cleaning out the disposer.

A little pricey ($50 as I recall last time I bought some here) but lasts years, safe, and effective.

Good to know what is likely a waste of time and what isn't. I'm going to give another try with the auger. And if that fails me I may try this product you've mentioned. When you say it takes up to a week do you need to pour some down each day? Can you still use the drain while it's being treated? Thanks for all the help...this message board is really helpful!

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Basically, with the enzyme/bacteria products, you do mix some up every day for 3-7 consecutive days or until the drain seems to be back to normal. Some are liquid but Bio Clean is a powder that you mix with warm water, then pour down the sink. You have to leave the sink unused for the next 8 hours to let the little critters do their work. Apparently once they get a foothold in the fatty deposits on the sides of the pipes, they can keep reproducing on their own. Unlike the lye-based drain cleaners, Bio Clean will actually get the whole circumference of the pipe clean eventually.

JohnPeter

Reaction score
I am installing salon-style hair traps everywhere... including kitchen double sink. These are transparent and employ a sieve. It helps to install these straight down from drain opening, so one can pump them dry with simple hand pump before opening the trap up; thus very little water will spill out.

Attachments

• 1608 hair trap #2 as used - downstairs bathroom  view a.jpg
    1608 hair trap #2 as used - downstairs bathroom view a.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 689

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Those traps violate EVERY principle and requirement for a sink trap.
1. They are NOT "self cleaning"
2. The trap is NOT supposed to accumulate "debris"
3. The trap is supposed to have a "smooth" interior.
4. The fittings required to install the trap could be the cause of it plugging up.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks