clogged bathroom drain -

Users who are viewing this thread

zeroz

Reaction score
I had a bathroom sink drain completely clogged - standing water. Tried plunging it, removed water (many times) and tried pouring down hot water: then soda, salt and vinegar; then hot water and detergent. Nothing was happening.. worked long and hard... finally took off the trap and tailpipe and took a drain auger right into the pipe at the wall.

To make a long story short... but no less gruesome.. I began to be able to pull out bits of something on the end of the auger.. the odor was overpoweringly foul. Finally, I manage to pull a dead rotting animal out of the drain. I didn't inspect it very carefully but suspect it was a rat -- it had a rather long tail.

The drain is free flowing now so that is not my problem. I'm wondering if I have a problem that would allow a rat to enter my drain pipe. Is this an unusual occurance? I tried to find information on the internet about rats in drain pipes but really came up with nothing. Is there a way to prevent this from happening again. In my life I've never heard of this happening... and I never want to experience it again. I have heard of rats coming up into toilets.... and I don't want that to happen either.

Any comments, advice or information would be appreciated.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
rat

Rats in the drain pipes are a "common" item, but usually they are in the large pipes so they are using them as highways, not getting stuck in them. But if one went down a small line, it would be easy for it to get stuck and unable to back out. Then it would die.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks