Clearing vents within sink body

Users who are viewing this thread

naylor132001

Reaction score
Bathroom sink drains slowly when plug is in place (but raised!). Draining can be accelerated by pumping the plug, at which time air bubbles are released. Sink drains very fast when plug is removed. I suspected an air pocket below the plug, and hey presto I find the outlets from the overflow below the plug, which can also serve as vents.:) How might I clean these out, they being very narrow & hard to get to? I've tried long needles and pressuring up the thru the overflow. Or am I barking up the proverbial wrong tree?:eek:

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Try pulling the stopper out, and running a hand snake down it.
There may even be a lot of gluck and hair on the stopper.
You don't need that nast gluck on it.
Yeach!

naylor132001

Reaction score
Come on, gimme a little credit. The stopper and the drain pipe are clean. I'm looking for a value-added answer to these questions:
- Would plugged overflow outlets inhibit drainage from the sink i.e do they double as drains & vents?
- How would one clean out said outlets?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
overflow

Would plugged overflow outlets inhibit drainage from the sink i.e do they double as drains & vents?

The vent the air trapped between the sink and the trap. and will obstruct drainage if the air cannot escape.

- How would one clean out said outlets?

Run a wire DOWN the overflow to create an open path and then pour draincleaner, such as Liquid Plummer down the overflow to burn out the deposits.
progress.gif

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Adjust the pop up rod/linkage so the pop up sits higher in the hole.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks