Clearing The 1L Error Code on Rheem Tankless Heaters

Users who are viewing this thread

saphman

Reaction score
Hi Folks, I just thought I would share with you a way to reset your Rheem Paloma WaiWela tankless heater after a descaling procedure. My condensing tankless unit has been in service now for about 9 months and I recently got the "1L" code to descale. I followed the instructions to descale using my tankless service valves and 3 1/2 gallons of distilled household white vinegar. That process went fine and after 1 hour, I flushed the heater and it started right up.

I was however left with the "1L" code on the remote control unit and actually thought the descale procedure would reset this. I tried everything to see if I could get this to reset but no success.

After some research I found the solution.....

You have to take the cover off the heater and identify the circuit board. In the upper right hand corner, there are the DIP switches and below these are 3 buttons labeled "Min" "Max" & "Adj".

With the unit on but not heating water, you press only the "Min" button, then press only the "Max" button then press both together for 5 seconds and release. Power off the remote, then power on the remote. That cleared the code off the screen and re-lit the yellow "Priority" button. Viola! Tankless works perfect

You will not find this in any of the Rheem literature, FWIW....... I hope this helps someone out. I am not sure about any other Tankless brand but Rheem. :cool:

Killer95Stang

Reaction score
That's good info to know... I've been using my Rheem Condensing unit since early April, when you helped me with my install... thanks again for that. For the 7 months in service, I have been very happy with my Rheem machine. I know that I will never pay back what it cost, over a tanked unit... but the happiness of running the washing machine, washing dishes and still being able to take a 30 minute shower at the same time is great!!! Plus our old gas bill used to be $15.00 -$20.00 per month... since the install, I've averaged about $7.50 - $10.00 for my gas bill. We'll see how much my gas grows once my swimming pool and spa are finished.

I do have a couple questions about your code. I plan on descaling my system this week, since I will be installing a whole house water softener system (Fleck 5600SXT). Does that descaling code come on automatically as a regular maintenance, or did it sense that it needed descaling? Also, how did you figure out that reset procedure? Did you call Rheem for the info? So far I've only called them once and they were very helpful.

Hi Folks, I just thought I would share with you a way to reset your Rheem Paloma WaiWela tankless heater after a descaling procedure. My condensing tankless unit has been in service now for about 9 months and I recently got the "1L" code to descale. I followed the instructions to descale using my tankless service valves and 3 1/2 gallons of distilled household white vinegar. That process went fine and after 1 hour, I flushed the heater and it started right up.

I was however left with the "1L" code on the remote control unit and actually thought the descale procedure would reset this. I tried everything to see if I could get this to reset but no success.

After some research I found the solution.....

You have to take the cover off the heater and identify the circuit board. In the upper right hand corner, there are the DIP switches and below these are 3 buttons labeled "Min" "Max" & "Adj".

With the unit on but not heating water, you press only the "Min" button, then press only the "Max" button then press both together for 5 seconds and release. Power off the remote, then power on the remote. That cleared the code off the screen and re-lit the yellow "Priority" button. Viola! Tankless works perfect

You will not find this in any of the Rheem literature, FWIW....... I hope this helps someone out. I am not sure about any other Tankless brand but Rheem. :cool:

Fiveok9

Reaction score
Amazing that I couldn't find a plumber to flush my water heater. It cost me $85 for pump and hoses. Couple gallons of vinegar. I finished and the 1L was still there!!! Thanks for telling me what Rheem wouldn't!!
Your post saved the day!!

blackstallion

Reaction score
I have a Rheem Paloma RTGL74DVN-1. I take off the front cover but on the circuit board, the min, max and adj switches are on the upper left (not right). Does the clearing procedure outlined in this thread work for all Rheem Paloma models? Will it work on mine? Don't want to try it and mess up some settings.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks