Clearance between direct vent intake and DWV vent?

Users who are viewing this thread

Dougster

Reaction score
Is there a minimum lateral separation on a roof between a combustion intake air vent and a DWV stack vent? I am also concerned about the exhaust from a cooking stove which also terminates nearby.

According to Inspectapedia there are "critical concerns with combustion air contamination for heating appliances". However I can't find the codes that cover these contamination sources.

This is for a condensing tankless water heater with direct vent intake and exhaust pipes (either two separate pipes, or concentric configuration) to be terminated above a sloped roof.

Killer95Stang

Reaction score
maxresdefault.jpg
My condensing tankless uses one of these going up through my roof. Exhaust flows straight out through the center and intake air is taken in from around the mushroom lip. With warmer air being pushed out of the exhaust tube under pressure, I don't think you would have an issue with this kind of setup.\

Also, the instructions that came with my Rheem unit wanted at least 18" away from any windows or openings, when exhaust was taken horizontally out of the side of a building. Having at least that amount away from another exhaust source is probably sufficient. Where is your unit going to be mounted? Since mine is mounted in a water heater closet that only has access from outside and is sealed from the house, I guess it doesn't really apply to me.

Last edited:

Dougster

Reaction score
Killer95Stang

I follow your reasoning but am not sure the building department or a flow engineer would agree since my question is combustion air intake contamination from an uncoupled exhaust source.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks