Cleanout vent blues

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by palvarez, Dec 29, 2008.

1. palvarez

palvarez New Member

I wasn't able to find a thread similar to my problem, so here goes:

I have an incredibly slow kitchen sink drain.
    I discovered it also had leaking pipes and after expert opinion, I was told the slow drain would go back to normal. After 400 dollars, the first days were fine, but I soon noticed that any large amount of water down the drain would come up again. By a large amount of water, I mean at least 2 pitcher fulls. Frustrated, I opened the cleanout vent and the water came out gushing. I flushed it with a hose and out came rice and grapefruit particles. I guess there must have been an obstruction.

I closed the vent again, but noticed that the sink still gets flooded. I have to keep the cleanout vent open. in order to not have any water flow up again. I can't have whatever my wife cleans in her sink washing up on my driveway. What can I do myself before i have to go back to the 400 dollar plumbers.
  2. SewerRatz

SewerRatz Illinois Licensed Plumber

Your drain needs to be cleaned out with a drain cleaning machine. I honestly can not in good conscious tell you to rent a rodding machine to clear it due to the dangers these machines are in untrained hands. I seen to many people hurt by a sewer breaking, and or wrapping around their limbs. So my only advice is to call a plumber to have it cleaned properly.

Maybe some of the other guys here can help you with the proper and safe operation of a drain cleaning machine.
  3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Most drain cleaners warranty their work for a period of time.
    I would at least ask.
  4. SewerRatz

SewerRatz Illinois Licensed Plumber

We have a 2 year guarantee on all our power roddings. So as Terry said would not hurt to ask.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

drain

Either call the $400.00 plumber back and have him do the job right, or call a $100.00+ plumber who knows what he is doing. Since you have a cleanout in the wall, it should NEVER have cost $400.00 in the first place, unless he did more than just snake the drain.