cleanout requirements for a 3" pipe horizontal run

Users who are viewing this thread

midi

Reaction score
Hello All,
I am roughing in a second floor addition to our home and I'm comfortable with all the code requirements for DWV except the cleanout requirement for a horizontal run for a 3" pipe from the toilet to the stack. My concerns are around the number and degree of bends. I have created 3 plans which only show the toilet to stack run that I would appreciate comments on.

Plan #1 has 2 90 degree turns + a 22.5 degree turn at the stack so I therefore assume it is not allowed.

Plan #2 uses two 45 degree turns + a 22.5 degree turn for a total of 112.5 degrees which I assume is allowed (less than 135 and no 90 degree turns).

Plan #3 is the one I can't decided if it is valid or not. I use 45 degree bends separated by 6 to 12 inches of pipe to make up my 90 degree turns. The total degree of change for this plan is the same as plan #1 but no turn is greater than 45 degrees. This would be valid if I am correctly interpreting my "Code Check Plumbing" book which says IRC "if more than 1 change in direction in a run of pipe, only 1 cleanout every 40ft. required." I don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling about this and wanted to ask the pros.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Attachments

• bathroom all nineties.jpg
    bathroom all nineties.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 1,332
  • bathroom 2 45 elbos.jpg
    bathroom 2 45 elbos.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 1,742
  • bathroom 4 45 elbos.jpg
    bathroom 4 45 elbos.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 1,500

BAPlumber

Plumber
Reaction score
I'm assuming your drawings are oriented North on top. can you run your 3" straight south then turn east? this would be 1-90 and 1-22. in the UPC my understanding is that clean-outs are not required above the ground floor.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
1. The 135 degree limitation usually only applies to a trap arm between the trap and the vent, which is also often the cleanout. Other than that the limitation is usually 90 degrees.
2. The distance between turns has nothing to do with the degree of turn limitation. That applies to the total angles between cleanout points.

midi

Reaction score
Brent, thank you for the suggestion. Initially I thought it wouldn't work because of clearance issues but I think I can make it work.

hj, based on the information you provided below does that mean the new diagram I have attached requires a cleanout at the turn, or rather close to it? And if so, I could place the vent there and use it for a cleanout, correct? The 3" pipe runs approximately 6 feet before the turn so I could place the vent right before the turn.

hj said:
1. The 135 degree limitation usually only applies to a trap arm between the trap and the vent, which is also often the cleanout. Other than that the limitation is usually 90 degrees.
2. The distance between turns has nothing to do with the degree of turn limitation. That applies to the total angles between cleanout points.

Thanks,
Jeff

Attachments

• bathroom 1 90.jpg
    bathroom 1 90.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 1,377
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks