Cleanout required?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Zenman, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Zenman

Zenman New Member

I'm planning a 2nd floor bathroom remodel. The tub, sink and toilet drains all are tied together (3" PVC) and go down to the basement. Once in the basement the drain will go from vertical to horizontal at the basement ceiling to clear the HVAC ductwork. At this point do I need a cleanout? (wye on its back with the cleanout) Further down the line (past the HVAC ductwork) the 3" drain will go down again to meet the 4" drain which has a cleanout upstream of the 3" connection. This project is in New Jersey and we follow by UPC.

To summize, do I need the 3" cleanout above the HVAC ductwork?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  2. jar546

jar546 In the Trades

Yes, all horizontal drains require a cleanout. The toilet is considered a cleanout so that takes care of the horizontal drain for the new bathroom (the horizontal pipe for the tub/sink is considered waste pipe)

There is more too it but the answer you are looking for is YES
  3. Zenman

Zenman New Member

Ok, thats what I thought - Thanks!
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

cleanout

I, and the inspectors around here, DO NOT consider the toilet an acceptable cleanout. And since the vertical drain should not, but apparently sometimes does, get obstructed, a cleanout in the wall above the toilet would be prudent.
  5. Zenman

Zenman New Member

HJ thanks for you input.
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

cleanout

IF could make the difference between a $150.00 snake job and a $500.00 one.
  7. jar546

jar546 In the Trades

HJ, I agree with you concerning placing a cleanout above the toilet.

As an inspector, we are held to the codes and cannot ask any more. As you know there are many levels of plumbers out there who do minimum and never think about common sense or return service calls.

Here is the definition of cleanout from the IPC to which I am held to. I cannot make up my own codes like other inspectors do, regardless of whether or not I agree with them.