Cleanout 4" into wall?

Users who are viewing this thread

theBigSee

DIY Member
Reaction score
I just tore away the drywall behind my vanity and found a long-lost cleanout for my bathroom sink. When I replace the drywall, I'd like to keep it exposed, but since it's recessed the drywall just covers it over. How is this usually handled? Cut a hole and install some sort of self-securing cover/plate?

Thanks.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I would use a plastic access panel that attaches to a square cut out in the drywall.

theBigSee

DIY Member
Reaction score
How can I extend it? It's cast-iron with a screw-in cover. Do they make some sort of adapter for that opening? I don't want to start breaking the cast iron apart.

Thanks for your responses.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Personally, I would not worry about ever having to use it. If the cast iron is old that cover may not come off.

But code says it should be accessible which is why I would put an access panel there nonetheless.

Let using it be someone else's problem. Perhaps a plumber's.

Last edited:

theBigSee

DIY Member
Reaction score
My house was built in 1957, and I doubt highly that that cover has ever been removed. It would be handy -- I had a clog down the lines a few years ago that I couldn't get to because the trap in the bathroom actually faces the trap in an identical bathroom that is next to it, so the snake would just go into the other sink's line, I couldn't get it to go down. A plumber was able to do it (cost me about $250 though!). I think you're right, I'll just give it some sort of access panel and let someone else worry about it if it ever needs be . . .

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Co

You get a round cleanout cover with a center hole. Tap the plug, or use a screw if it is a plastic plug, and insert a bolt through the cleanout cover to secure it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks