Cleanout 4" into wall?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by thebigsee, Oct 28, 2009.

1. thebigsee

thebigsee DIY Member

I just tore away the drywall behind my vanity and found a long-lost cleanout for my bathroom sink. When I replace the drywall, I'd like to keep it exposed, but since it's recessed the drywall just covers it over. How is this usually handled? Cut a hole and install some sort of self-securing cover/plate?

Thanks.
  2. Ian Gills

Ian Gills Senior Robin Hood Guy

I would use a plastic access panel that attaches to a square cut out in the drywall.
  3. Lakee911

Lakee911 I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)

Could extend it out past the wall too...
  4. thebigsee

thebigsee DIY Member

How can I extend it? It's cast-iron with a screw-in cover. Do they make some sort of adapter for that opening? I don't want to start breaking the cast iron apart.

Thanks for your responses.
  5. Ian Gills

Ian Gills Senior Robin Hood Guy

Personally, I would not worry about ever having to use it. If the cast iron is old that cover may not come off.

But code says it should be accessible which is why I would put an access panel there nonetheless.

Let using it be someone else's problem. Perhaps a plumber's.
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  6. thebigsee

thebigsee DIY Member

My house was built in 1957, and I doubt highly that that cover has ever been removed. It would be handy -- I had a clog down the lines a few years ago that I couldn't get to because the trap in the bathroom actually faces the trap in an identical bathroom that is next to it, so the snake would just go into the other sink's line, I couldn't get it to go down. A plumber was able to do it (cost me about $250 though!). I think you're right, I'll just give it some sort of access panel and let someone else worry about it if it ever needs be . . .
  7. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

Oatly makes covers for just this purpose
  8. dcelite

dcelite Plumber

If you do want it outside the wall, you can remove the plug that's there and install a nipple with a cap on it which extends beyond the drywall.
  9. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Co

You get a round cleanout cover with a center hole. Tap the plug, or use a screw if it is a plastic plug, and insert a bolt through the cleanout cover to secure it.