Cleaning urinals

Discussion in 'Drain Cleaning' started by JeffH, Feb 11, 2007.

1. JeffH

JeffH New Member

any good way to mechanically or otherwise clean wall hung w/ trap urinals without removing from wall? Small auger possibly? Which one?. Would like to remove that nasty urine mineral deposits as a general maint program. I know some folks use muriatic acid/water, but would like a chemical free process. How'bout peroxide/vinegar?
  2. kordts

kordts In the Trades

I get Urinal Kleen from my supply house.

3. Save yourself some money, but charge the same (Urinal Kleen)

Urinal Kleen aka hydrochloric acid with Red #5 food coloring $15-$20

Muriatic Acid aka hydrochloric acid with no food coloring $4-$8 found at any big box store.....a definite plus when you get a call at a bar or restaurant after the supply houses close.

I had a urinal auger on my truck for 4 years, broke it the first time I used it on a wall hung. Last resort was acid and I should of used it from the go, and kept my auger in good shape.

Told my boss how to save money when I was a union plumber about the acid similarity, didn't believe me. Told him to look up the MSDS sheets to prove they are the same damn thing.
  4. plumber1

plumber1 Plumber

Go ahead. take it apart and run an electric snake through it to do a real good job.
  5. Cass

Cass Plumber

The peroxide will make the mineral deposits nice and white.

The vinegar is a weak acid and will take multipule applications and days to work. The muriatic will do the job but be very carefull of the fumes. Pull it and do it outside. Snake the drain line while the acid is working outside.