Cleaning Ducts in the Slab

Discussion in 'HVAC Heating & Cooling' started by Will Rogers Plumbing, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Will Rogers Plumbing

Will Rogers Plumbing Plumbing Contractor

I just bought a house that has air ducts under the slab. The house smells horrible cause the previous owner was a chain smoker. I have painted the whole house and cleaned the carpet. Is there a way to clean the ducts under the slab to get rid of the smoke smell?

Will
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

There are duct cleaning companies who have an assortment of long brushes and large vacuums . Whether you call them, or do it yourself, the first step is to try to remove the actual 'solids' i.e. dust build up, etc. It would be nice to wash down with a odor control solution, but that may not be possible on an extensive duct network. A final step would be to place a Queenaire Ozone generator at the return air inlet, run the system on 'fan' for a few hours. Note that humans and pets cannot be in the building during this time. When completed, a quick airing out dissipates the ozone.