cleaning/dressing old pipe threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Gardner

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I have a somewhat grotty old 3/4 threaded hub on a galvanized steel fitting and I need to thread a new 3/4 brass fitting into it. The old threads are not particularly nice, but they are likely serviceable. Is there a standard procedure for cleaning and dressing an old rusty, putty-encrusted fitting to take a new fitting and make a good seal?

I was thinking of getting a 3/4 black pipe nipple, cutting a slot across the threads (like on a self tapping screw) with a grinder and using this to run into the old hub to clean up the rust and crust. Kind of a home made chasing tap. Is there a better way?

Last edited:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Lotta work when you could just bust out the wire brush. If the threads are bad you need a 3/4 npt die to chase them.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You might find a set of pipe dies at a tool rental store. Shouldn't cost too much for half a day. If you were in Yakima, I'd loan you a 3/4" die.:D

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I have a somewhat grotty old 3/4 threaded hub on a galvanized steel fitting and I need to thread a new 3/4 brass fitting into it.

Yep. :mad:

The disadvantage of speed reading :D

Gardner

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Thanks all. I'm sure the hub won't be so bad I need to run a real tap into it. I expect I can get by with a wire brush. This is a cottage/camp project and I am trying to plan ahead for what I may need when I get there and start working on it, so that's what got me going on pre-fabbing a low budget tool, just in case.

Besides the bogus threaded 3/4 fitting on my pump to fix, I also have a couple of burst copper lines to take care of, as well as correcting the pitch of those lines and adding a drain to avoid water staying in the lines next year.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks