Cleaning a Moen Shower Head

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by den1517, Jan 12, 2009.

1. den1517

den1517 New Member

I am attempting to clean a Moen shower head model 3941 and need help understanding how to take it apart. Does the spray adjustment knob on the side pull off and allow the "guts" to slide out the front? Any tips would be much appreciated. (I have already soaked it in vinegar, but can't get it to produce individual spray streams.)

den1517
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Did you try pouring some into the head from the supply side? Maybe a brass wire.
  3. den1517

den1517 New Member

Yes. I removed the head from the supply pipe and poured white vinegar through it from the supply side. Then I soaked the head in vinegar for 6 hours. It looks sparkling clean, but the spray streams still glomp together instead of being separate streams. I also traded it with another shower head (identicle model) from a different shower in the house and the problem follows the head, not the water supply source (rules out pressure and/or delivery rate being the problem). I'm thinking that I may have grit stuck in the inside. I thought about trying to push a fine wire through each stream nozzle from the outlet side towards the supply, but looking at the face of the outlet makes me believe there is a lot of plastic inside. I would prefer to take it apart, but I'm not sure how.

Thanks for your suggestions though.
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2009