Clean water down the toilet:

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Terry, May 31, 2011.

1. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Clean water down the toilet: more than a drop in the bucket

The main way Americans use water at home is flushing the toilet — 18.5 gallons per day per person, writes Kathleen Parker. And the water is as pure as the drinking water that runs from our taps. Translation: 5.7 billion gallons of clean drinking water down the toilet each day.

More of the story
  2. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

Well... the dog needs clean water to drink.
    [​IMG]
  3. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

Essentially, we recycle the majority of the water that is flushed, so I'm not sure how much to worry about it. The cost of providing clean drinking water and treating drain water are an issue, but very little water is lost overall.

I think I would take more of an issue with the trillions of gallons people use to keep their grass green, but again, that water is not really lost either.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Remember, in many cases, the water you flush down the toilet, and use elsewhere, becomes the drinking water for the next town down the stream.