Clean up PB Blaster from copper pipe/shutoff valve

Users who are viewing this thread

KC Baltz

Reaction score
I'm a DIY'er and just replaced a sink in my master bath. As part of the job, I found the existing shutoff valves were leaking and replaced them. One had a fair bit of rust on the compression nut and was hard to remove so I shot it with some PB Blaster to loosen it up. Not sure if that was a mistake, but the next step likely was. After the valve came off, I still saw lots of rust in inside the compression nut so I sprayed a little more to loosen it up and clean it out with a toothbrush. I then proceeded to attach the new valve (1/4 ball valve) using the old nut and everything went together fine. I haven't had any leaking, but I'm pretty sure I notice a bad taste from the cold water (the one with the rust) that I don't notice from the hot.

I'm looking for advice on how best to proceed. I'm thinking to remove the new valve and clean inside and outside the copper where I sprayed with a soapy water solution and paper towels and then flush the heck out of it when it's all back together.

BTW, if you need a photo, I found this thread and his picture is nearly identical to my situation: https://terrylove.com/forums/index....valve-which-option-is-best.59865/#post-443993

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Just leave the water running to flush out the line. It might take awhile, but PB Blaster is not magic, and it will eventually come clean.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks