clean out plug

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by rihokie25, Jan 12, 2005.

1. rihokie25

rihokie25 New Member

What's the best way to remove a corroded clean out plug. The plug probably hasn't been removed in at least ten years and won't budge with a wrench. Any siggestions on how to free it?
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

plug

You have used a wrench, but have you used the wrench and a hammer to hit the wrench? There are many ways to remove a plug ranging from more force to cutting it out. We cannot advise the best way without trying the different options to see what works.
  3. Bob's HandyGuy

Bob's HandyGuy Senior Member

If it's one of those brass ones on the bottom of an old cast iron trap, you may have a cuss-fest removing it. Try just catching a chisel on the outside edge then hammering so as to rotate it. Do this all around the diameter of the plug. (Handyman, not a plumber.)
  4. Phatbrain

Phatbrain New Member

A little trick...

This has worked for me, but I don't know anything and it's not my fault...

Take two hammers (size doesn’t matter :), but I use small ones) of equal weight and give the fitting a sharp rap at the same time on opposite sides. Repeat the rapping around the fitting.

Good luck and don't crack the pipes
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2005