Clean out line or pre-plumbed drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Doom

Reaction score
I am trying to add a sink to my laundry room. I have a washer draining into a standpipe in my laundry room. 2ft from the standpipe is a PVC plug on the wall (~36" off the ground). I figure this a drain clean out line. ~6ft from the standpipe is a second PVC plug on the wall (roughly 12 inches off the ground). What is an easy way to figure out whether this is a drain for a laundry sink?

Last edited:

Doom

Reaction score
I am looking to install a sink in the room. If the plug by the standpipe is it's drain clean out plug (36" off ground) I can't use it for the sink. Right? I am hoping that tge other plug was a pre plumbed drain line for a sink. What else would the 2nd plug be for? Any help is greatly appreciated! I have not taken any Sheetrock off the wall yet and hope not too, if possible. Thank you

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is it in a basement or down stairs? Is there plumbing above this area?

You could take the plug out. Take a section of cloth or something similar and put it in the pipe with a tail hanging out. Put the plug back in and screw it in a little to hold the cloth in place. Go run all water using fixtures above this pipe. If it is a drain for something above the end of cloth in the pipe will get wet.
If the stand pipe has a p-trap below the floor then the pipe with the plug could be the vent for the washer drain. If that is the case there are several ways to do it.

A picture might be helpful. A little more info would help too.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IT would be allmost unheard of for a "future" drain connection to have a plug in it, (it would make the connection more difficult). More likely it is a cleanout for a separate drain.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks