Clay tile wall - wall mount sink

Users who are viewing this thread

bvscott

Reaction score
Hi all-
First post here - thanks ahead of time for any help and advice.

I have a funny little house - 640 sqft, all the walls (including interior) are made of clay tile (http://www.sandkuhl.com/Photos/Partition%20Tile/Partition-Tile-BB.gif for clarification)

I'm tearing into my bathroom in the next couple weeks and want to do a wall mount sink if possible, but am curious about what kind of a load this tile can hold. Any way to do it (without furring out the wall to make a frame)? Am I just asking for trouble?

Any thoughts are welcomed. Thanks

Ben

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Is the plumbing in the wall for the sink already?
To wall mount, you would need to drill holes and then use toggle bolts. It might work out for you. Toggle bolts with large fender washers on the sink side. If you pick up 1/4", then a 1/4 x 20 threaded nut with fender washer works. If it doesn't work, then I guess furring the wall works. That or a small cabinet.

bvscott

Reaction score
Thanks, Terry.
Plumbing is not in the wall - will come through the floor and be exposed. You're not concerned about the load on the tile walls? I have this nightmare of getting it all done and then it rips out of the wall, but maybe that's silly
Thanks again

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Clay tile wall which are usually plastered are fairly strong, but I would put chrome legs under the front to minimize stress on the wall in case some one sits on the sink.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks