Clay Drain Tile Repair

Users who are viewing this thread

Alex Outlaw

Reaction score
Excavated old (1920's) clay tile beneath basement toilet. Removed cracked pieces and now am left with an irregular piece of a 90 street elbow at the hub of a wye. Short of major excavation I am open to options as to how I can end with a toilet flange. ID of pipe is 4.5 inches. The irregular footing of the house is adjacent to the "top" of the elbow (as view in the picture). Thank You.

tile drain-90 street elbow into wye.JPG

tile drain 4.5id.JPG

Alex Outlaw

Reaction score
That is a hilarious comment, so I am waiting patiently for HJ to reply since we need to FIX this problem!!!!

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
I would cut off after the hub and use a clay X pvc coupling rebuild it in pvc. Pipe 90 and flange. check your
tool rental for 41/2 in grinder with a diamond blade to cut the clay pipe.

Alex Outlaw

Reaction score
I was sort of afraid that there would not be a "short cut" to this repair. Believe you are right will excavate a little more and replace the wye and 90. Thank You - appreciate your recommendation.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
In the first place, you do NOT have a "street elbow" because they did not make them. You have an elbow with a broken hub. From the direction it is turning, it appears NOT to have a vent, so you really cannot just put a flange on it for a toilet.

Asktom

Reaction score
It gets worse, if you are shooting for legal. You shouldn't have clay under the building and that rubber coupling in the upper right corner isn't legal above ground. To just get the stupid toilet mounted on the floor see CWHYU2 above.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks