clawfoot tub width and drain location

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by jodit123, Feb 5, 2012.

1. jodit123

jodit123 New Member

I have a 54" clawfoot tub that I was planning to install in a bathroom that is undergoing a remodel. A few months ago, I had my house completely repiped and I had the plumber measure the tub and install a new drain (the bathroom was completely gutted at the time). I just moved along on the remodel just assuming all was okay. However, I just made the discovery that the drain is 28" from the wall and my tub is 30" wide.
    What are my options at this point? The floor is tiled and the walls are drywalled. I think there are 27" wide clawfoot tubs out there, but they are hard to find. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, as I am a bit freaked out at the moment. Thanks!
  2. johnjh2o1

johnjh2o1 Plumbing Contractor for 49 years

Did you supply the plumber with a rough in sheet for the tub you were using? If not how was he to know were to rough in the waste?
    Looks like you both had a communication problem.

John
  3. Hackney plumbing

Hackney plumbing Homeowner

Dont get freaked out.....just move the drain ...or move the tub to match the existing rough in.
  4. jodit123

jodit123 New Member

The tub was on the back porch and he measured it before he set the drain location.
    Not sure what happened. I just need to figure out a path forward.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

How about a picture of the tub with the drain attached. IF the tub is 30" wide at the rim, the drain is probably NOT outside the tub, so 28" might be correct.
  6. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

A 30" wide clawfoot tub would be centered for the drain at 15"

Is he planing on having the tub set out from the back wall 12"? That would be better then having the tub up against the back wall.
  7. jodit123

jodit123 New Member

So sorry for the misleading description of the situation. Above I stated that the drain was 28" from the wall...it is actually 14" on center from the wall. Can you have a drain that is offset to accomodate a 30" wide clawfoot tub? Thanks again.
  8. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Your original question implied that the drain was in the center of the long side, (which is not unusual for a leg tub), not the end of the tub. WHether you can offset the drain depends on WHICH drain you use and whether the offset would be visible, and thus objectionable.