Clawfoot tub faucet knobs turn on their own

Users who are viewing this thread

brettp

Reaction score
About four months ago we replaced our clawfoot tub faucet because the diverter was no longer diverting water. Now we have a new problem, the hot and cold water knobs will not stay in place. They stay closed just fine, but once opened, even just a little, they will continue to open on their own to full open. It seems that with the very course threads the water pressure is able to push on the steam and open up the valve. I have tried closing down the supply valves to the point where the shower is just barely getting enough water, but the knobs still turn on their own. Has anyone had this problem? Is there a fix?

brettp

Reaction score
The valves are opened by rotating the handles up. Heavier handles could help the problem.

Can you help me understand where packing nut and packing O-ring are located? I haven't been able to find any adjustments yet.

Thanks for the help!

IMG_20150513_100714233_HDR.jpg
IMG_20150512_173935076_HDR.jpg

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
You should be able to replace the two O-rings on the stem and fix the problem. I would take the stem and the bonnet nut to the hardware store and try some new O-rings. They are not expensive. You could get several that fit but are thicker to see if that makes a difference. I would use two of the same size on the stem. It should be tight enough that it will not turn itself but not so tight that you can not turn it on and off.

Moggynono

Reaction score
About four months ago we replaced our clawfoot tub faucet because the diverter was no longer diverting water. Now we have a new problem, the hot and cold water knobs will not stay in place. They stay closed just fine, but once opened, even just a little, they will continue to open on their own to full open. It seems that with the very course threads the water pressure is able to push on the steam and open up the valve. I have tried closing down the supply valves to the point where the shower is just barely getting enough water, but the knobs still turn on their own. Has anyone had this problem? Is there a fix?
Hey Brett, I hope this reaches you. Do you happen to remember the make/model of your tub faucet? I am looking for a replacement stem that is identical to yours, but am having a heck of a time finding it. Thank you!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks