Clawfoot Tub Drain

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by rmelo99, Apr 5, 2008.

1. rmelo99

rmelo99 Network Engineer

how does one install the drain of a clawfoot tub?

The specific part I would like some clarity on is the drain to p-trap connection. On a traditional tub I have always accesed the p-trap from below or finished the drain connection from the wall behind the tub.

In this case the chrome drain simply goes into the floor (which will be wood)
    Does the drain just sit in the trap? That doesn't make sense. Maybe I'm overthinking this but I need some help.

Thanks
    Rem
  2. Basement_Lurker

Basement_Lurker One who lurks

The p-trap is below the finished floor. All you "should" have is stubs for your water lines and your drain line. And you use specialty claw-foot tub installation kits for everything.
  3. srdenny

srdenny Plumbing Contractor

Generally, the tailpiece of the waste and overflow is connected to the drain using a brass or plastic waste connector, (brass if your riser is galvanized or DWV copper) I usually set the waste connector so that only the top or threaded part is sitting above finished floor, so that the box flange on the tailpiece hides the connector when finished.
  4. rmelo99

rmelo99 Network Engineer

Ok, I think I got it.

I don't know why I didn't think of it before. So basically the same way you would setup the sink/trap adapter out of the wall I would do that on the floor. Right?

All the DWV plumbing is new so I will have a 2" drain and drap under the floor. I don't know if having a hole for a 2" pipe will look that good, kinda large.

I would like to come up with 1.5" Can I drop down the size right after the trap so that I can bring 1.5" above the floor?
  5. srdenny

srdenny Plumbing Contractor

I would like to come up with 1.5" Can I drop down the size right after the trap so that I can bring 1.5" above the floor?[/QUOTE]

Yes. There is one difficulty which might arise. Because of the lack of distance between the waste connector and the bottom of the tub, you may not have room to connect the tee and tailpiece on the waste and overflow. In that case, you'll have to preassemble the drain to the tub and then place the tub onto the connector. An alternative method is to slide the tailpiece into the connector before you install the tee, then after the tee is installed, slide the tailpiece up and screw it into the tee, tighten the connector and test. Either way, the box flange will give you fits.
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2008
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

drain

Almost ALL installers would extend a 1 1/2" pipe up to the tub drain.