Clawfoot drain / overflow quality

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Hi all,
About to buy the drain for our clawfoot tub. It's a 1917 American Standard. Slight angle on the overflow but otherwise pretty standard. Fixtures in the room are all chrome and the drain will be visible, but against a wall, so not prominent.

My question is about brands and quality of these kits. I've seen them range from $70 (box store) to $150 (clawfoot specialty websites) to $300 for higher end (Cal Faucets, Kohler)

They all look the same and none seem to have specs as to how they are cast, gauge, etc.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Anthony

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Go to the plumbing supply store and compare them in person (see how heavy or thick-walled) they are. Examine the finishes and machining.
If you can't do the hands on comparison - or if they still seem to be all the same, get the cheaper one. :)

I never like to buy the cheapest thing (from past experience you usually get the quality you pay for). But I don't go for the most expensive either - something priced in the middle of the range usually works best for me.

Reaction score
Thanks for the response.

Yeah, the good plumbing store near me did not have the fully-finished drain sets (they can order them). I might be able to see if Ferguson has them in stock to see before I buy. I didn't see anything at the HD/Lowes aisles, not that I was expecting to.

Really I'm just looking for heavy gauge and overall finish quality. My pedestal lavs are going to have Cal Faucets P-traps (ordered with the faucets) and those things are heavy and the finish is pristine. But their version of the clawfoot drain was $300. (yikes).

All the ones under $200 are the "house brand" of a few websites, so other than their totall-non-biased reviews on the site, I really haven't heard anything good or bad.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks