Claw foot tub supply line

Users who are viewing this thread

PatrickOregon

Reaction score
Recently installed new hardware for our old claw foot tub. The rigid supply line keeps blowing out of the top of the shutoff valve! It is held by a rubber cone washer (brass flat washer on top). I have tightened it very tight. The company I bought it from said my house water pressure is probably too high, but I checked it and it's at 65 psi. Any suggestions appreciated.

image.jpeg

PatrickOregon

Reaction score
Here's a closer pic of the culprit. I would prefer the valve had a compression ring instead, but I would also prefer to not spend any more money.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    102.6 KB · Views: 1,331

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You may have a 1/2" thread at the top of the shutoff. You may be able to use an adapter there.
Though normally the rubber cone washer with friction washer works. Is it fully fitting into the socket?

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
http://www.signaturehardware.com/hot-cold-metal-cross-handles-straight-stop-1-2-npt-x-3-8-od.html

http://www.vintagetub.com/bathroom/...dolph-morris-straight-stop-only-rm218c-s.html

http://www.vintagetub.com/bathroom/drains-and-supply-lines/shut-off-valves-and-handles.html

I would change them out for a good compression stop if you are not able to convert the outlet end of your existing valve. If it blows apart when you are not home it could be a very expensive flood. So you may have to spend a little to save a lot.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The current supply lines may be 1/2" nominal. A size between 3/8" OD and 5/8" OD. A true 1/2" OD which is kind of odd, but done sometimes.
I like Smooky's idea though.

PatrickOregon

Reaction score
So the lines are 1/2" OD. I think I will look for a conversion, or suck it up and spring for new valves . I don't think I could sleep (much less leave the house) if I don't do something more secure. Thanks much for the input! BTW this is my first post, but these forums have answered many questions I've had over the past few years.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would bet that your cone washer is not the right size (there are many, many different ones), or the tube nut is bottoming on the faucet, or the tube is not fully inserted. Or it's Made in China. Millions of old bathtubs used that setup without problem. Tightening that nut should put the Grip of Death on the tube.
It's hard to imagine how that supply tube could move if properly installed top and bottom. Usually the tubes are hard brass, which do not bend. Do yours?

Also, a single measurement of your water pressure may not be telling the real story. Measure it after you run down the
hot water supply and see what happens when the water heater cuts in.

PatrickOregon

Reaction score
I would bet that your cone washer is not the right size (there are many, many different ones), or the tube nut is bottoming on the faucet, or the tube is not fully inserted. Or it's Made in China. Millions of old bathtubs used that setup without problem. Tightening that nut should put the Grip of Death on the tube.
It's hard to imagine how that supply tube could move if properly installed top and bottom. Usually the tubes are hard brass, which do not bend. Do yours?

Also, a single measurement of your water pressure may not be telling the real story. Measure it after you run down the
hot water supply and see what happens when the water heater cuts in.
Well, it was made in China. The lines are very rigid, and they were fully inserted in the valve. The top nut was not bottomed out when tightened. I would not be surprised if the cone was the wrong size and/or shape.

Would the water pressure increase quite a bit when the water heater kicks on?

Reach4

Reaction score
Would the water pressure increase quite a bit when the water heater kicks on?
It would be limited to about 150 PSI by the temperature and pressure valve on the water heater releasing water.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is it the supply tube moving UP or the valve moving Down? Maybe all you need to do is secure the valve and/or it's
connected piping from moving (should've been done at rough-in anyway).

I've come across many house piping systems with no (functional) expansion tank that would experience very large
pressure spikes when the water heater cycled on, due to thermal expansion of the water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks