Clattering pipes shower

Users who are viewing this thread

mrg65

Reaction score
Hi, my first post:

I have a Danze shower fixture in an upstairs bathroom. When the shower is in the warm position the pipes can make a knocking sound. Turn it to all hot, no knock... all cold, no knock. When knocking i can open the cold water in the nearby sink and the knock temporarily stops.

I don't have the experience to know if this is a sign of air in the pipes, a bad mixing valve, or something else. Hopefully you all can help.

Thanks,

Mike

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
When knocking i can open the cold water in the nearby sink and the knock temporarily stops.

When you do that, what is happening is the pressure balance spool valve is compensating for the drop in pressure on the cold side. That suggests that the spool valve is responsible. It is not necessarily defective, only that it has a particular point of resonance. You could try a different shower head with a different flow rate, or you could try replacing the valve.

Kim Y

Reaction score
Hey Mike - was your problem resolved?

I have a Danze shower faucet as well, and the knocking is driving us INSANE.

We plumbers over - they installed water arrestors in the sink, restrapped all the pipes under the house, cut a hole in the drywall behind the shower - they couldn't figure it out.

The knocking happens all the time now, not even when the water's running. Using the kitchen faucet, the bathroom sink, the water spigot outside the house - all of it causes serious knocking that can be heard throughout our small home - most of it seems to be coming from the shower area.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks