classic toilet flange question?

Users who are viewing this thread

Daddio

Reaction score
OK, I see this is a classic problem, but not sure which solution is best here. I am tiling my bath and the closet flange is roughed in on top of the subfloor. So the top of flange will be about 3/8 below finished floor when I tile.

I unscrewed the flange, and have enough play in the pipe to raise the existing flange. My idea is to insert two C-shaped spacers under the flange (the thickness of the hardi + tile.) Would plywood be good, or plastic spacers from Set-rite or Oatey etc snapped in half ?
http://www.set-rite.com/about.htm
End result, flange would be flush with floor, and I would then tile around it. Will this be the best option?

Or do I really need to cut off the flange and put in a new one that sits on top of the tile. Sounds like this is the ideal way for stability, but means replacing flange and drilling through tile.

OR, take the easy way out, leave it all alone and use an extended wax ring and/or spacers on TOP of the flange?

Last edited:

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
If you have the play where it will not comprimise its integrity, I would personally raise the top surfaceof the flange to about 1/8" - 1/4" above the finished floor.

Daddio

Reaction score
Not sure if I can raise it that high without tilting it.

So try C-shaped spacers under the flange? Is plywood, CBU or plastic spacers best?
thanks?

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you are installing a new flange, you can put a spacer below to raise it up.

sioux_chief_w_spacer.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks