Clark's Clog

Users who are viewing this thread

Carrud

DIY'er
Reaction score
Hello All, I have a clog at the master bath sink. I have tried to snake it but can't get it cleared. Called a pro and he could not get it cleared.

The Pro suggested cutting into the pipe near the clog.

By snake depth of about 5' I think that probably possibly my very hard clog is in the vicinity of the area in the photo. Or at least close, as this is access from within my garage making work and cleanup much easier.

Question: Anythings I should especially consider before I attempt to take this section apart to affect a clean-out? And, anythings special I should consider when trying to put this back together?

I don't have a clue about how I'm going to get this apart, or put something back together.

Many thanks for your support.

Attachments

• 2013-04-19 Potential Clog Area.jpg
    2013-04-19 Potential Clog Area.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 144

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Call a better "pro". There does not appear to be any reason why a plumber with the proper drain equipment should not be able to clear the line, and do it very quickly. However, the piping behind the wood stud appears "suspicious" and might not be installed properly, which could create a problem.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Here's a guess out of the blue. The "pro" you had, was from a franchise drain cleaning company and not from a real plumbing company. Take HJ's sound advice, get a real plumber.

Carrud

DIY'er
Reaction score
Hj, Gary,

Thanks for the input. I readily admit that I'm always reluctant to call a pro. I've had two plumbers out in the last many years to clear drains (not the same drains, btw). Each time they departed without being able to complete the job. So I'm gun shy about this area. One was a local plumbing shop. This last one was a big-name place. The reason I called this big-name place is because they promised no charge if they couldn't clear it. So, it was not a big deal to watch and learn for free.

Well, I'm no pro, and very ignorant about much plumbing stuff, but I decided to try to fix this myself. Took a good portion of the day to dismantle, clean, clean, and clean a bit more the inside of the 2" piping, then put back together. Luckily, my measurement was spot-on and the clog was exactly in this area. Indeed it was about 6-8" of rather full clog. Except for my time the cost to fix was $10.46 and the knowledge that I have a heightened appreciation for folks that do this work.

Many Thanks

BTW, I was sent here to Terry Love site by the good folks at John Bridge. I love those folks over there and if they recommend Terry Love I will certainly be back here frequently.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks