Clamp-on to Cast Iron, broken pipe.

Users who are viewing this thread

slrpro02

Reaction score
Trying to install a sink upstairs & see the pipe was broke off in this clamp-on adapter on the cast iron drain. Can I unbolt the clamp-on adapter & take it out & maybe get the broken pipe out or should I try & get the broken pipe out with the clamp-on adapter still on the pipe, or is there a better way? THANKS

upstairs kitchen sink pipe.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Not familiar with that type of fitting, but it's possible that the pipe into it was leaded in, and to get it out will require drilling out a bunch of the lead, they working things back and forth to loosen things up, then work it out of there. If it's an actual hub in there, you could use a donut bushing to make the seal.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I am not familiar with that type of fitting either, but it looks to me like the real problem you have will be attaching a new pipe. Cast iron is not DIY friendly. There are rubber adapters that can transition to PVC, but not sure that would be a solution here. Might be a job for a pro.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think that adapter is a saddle tee. I would think you could unbolt that and replace it with the saddle tee of your choice.

Or you could re-use the fitting, but I expect the seal material would need replacement, and you would need to clean up the threads on the old U-bolts. I don't know what you would use to make the new seal.
038753437965lg.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
What are a couple of those reasons?

So maybe, if he uses a knife and finds out that there is lead in that hub, his alternate course of action would be to clean the lead out that existing grandfathered saddle tee with a torch.

Of course cities routinely use saddle tees or saddle wyes to tap into the street sewer, but they are not subject to those same codes that the homeowner is.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks