Cistern well overfill question

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by andrmegn, Aug 17, 2013.

1. andrmegn

andrmegn New Member

We live in an older Victorian home with a cistern well for water supply. We don't know anything about it but have noticed the well is completely full lately. Is this anything we should be concerned about? It doesn't appear to be affecting our water pressure.

Thanks!
    Andrea
  2. craigpump

craigpump Member

Have the water tested for bacteria regularly.
  3. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

The cistern may be spring fed.
  4. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

If there is a well pump feeding the cistern, the float switch maybe stuck, and the cistern it full to the overflow pipe.
  5. Smooky

Smooky Member

Where does the water come from? The cisterns I've worked with in the past were tanks under the house that were filled from roof gutters. If it has rained a lot and you have that type of cistern, that might be why.
  6. andrmegn

andrmegn New Member

There is a well pump in the base of the cistern. When I first moved here, I never noticed water in the cistern. I have a sump pump hooked up but the water level doesn't ever seem to go down. Where would I find the float switch?
  7. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

Your system should look something like this.

[​IMG]