Circulator Help

Users who are viewing this thread

hyperwiz

Reaction score
My Taco circulator pump has either a bad cartridge or motor assembly. I'm going to start with the cartridge and if that doesn't work replacement the entire unit. Not having worked on water heaters before, I'm trying to understand water flow and the best way to remove the unit without flooding my garage.

I've attached pictures. Is it fair to assume that I need to do the following to make this repair...
1. Turn off the water supply at the top of the right water heater (red handle)
2. Turn off both water heaters
3. Turn off the yellow valve below the Taco circulator unit
4. Remove pressure from both water heaters (top pressure relief valve)
5. Drain the left water heater (attach hose to outlet and drain)

Am I thinking about this correctly. Is there an easier process to do this?

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 272
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 263
  • image3.JPG
    image3.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 253

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
WHere does the outlet of the pump go? If you shut the valve below it, there may be no reason to drain either tank.

hyperwiz

Reaction score
I'm actually not sure. The pipe at the top of the circulator pump goes back into the wall (has insulation on it). At the bottom of the pump, there's a yellow valve and that piping goes into the left water heater. Thoughts?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It could be a pump for hot water recycling. If you shut off the water to the WH and relieve the pressure in the system, when you open up the fittings, the only water that should be there is what's in the pipe. Now, if you use those WH for radiant floor heating or something, there could be a lot more water in the system. Sorry, just do not have enough info.

hyperwiz

Reaction score
It's definitely a pump for hot water circulation to the fixtures (not radiant flooring). I'll try that (relieve pressure and then open up the fixtures before removing the pump).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks