Christmas Lighting Ideas

Discussion in 'Bob & Don's Electronics Forum' started by Sarah Bradford, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Sarah Bradford

Sarah Bradford New Member

Hello all!

I would like to generate few Christmas Lighting ideas for this year and I need your help! Of course I am planning to decorate the tree. But this year I want my husband to help me put lighting outside the house as well. Running extension cords from the outlets or electrical wiring should not be an issue. What I am wondering is how can I make the lights flash! I already have some static lights for the trees. I am planning to buy for the outdoors. Is there any device or gadget I can buy locally or order online that can make my static lights animating the way I want? I want to have total control over the blinking patterns or flash!

I am a complete newbie in electronics! So, please help me find a solution.

- Sarah
  2. asullivan

asullivan New Member

Good to know about your enthusiasm about the Christmas Lighting! Did you find anything yet? I was looking for similar products few weeks ago. You can try using a programmable power strip from PwrUSB (pwrusb dot com)

You can hook up the power extension box to a computer via USB and program it anyway you like. Its okay, they provide a bundle easy to use software. So you don't actually need to know any computer language to flash the Christmas lights the way you want ;)

If I am recalling right, you can program PwrUSB to flash the lights every 2 seconds on different power outlets. I was able to create some extraordinary animated lighting effects by putting diverging lighting on different power outlets (there are 4). Give it a try, you will love it!
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2012
  3. BobL43

BobL43 DIY Senior Member

In the US, I think it would be easy to go into any store that sells Christmas lighting and just ask for a flasher (I think) and just be able to buy one. In the UK, I think it would be about the same. Only difference is the "weird" plugs and sockets you use there, and 220 volts for household stuff.
    As far as being able to make the lights blink to the beat of music, that is another story. I just Googled it and found this, plus much more:
    http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Your-Christmas-Lights-Flash-to-Music
    Enjoy
  4. Undfusk

Undfusk New Member

I will use colorful led lights this christmas
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2012