Choosing New Toilets

Users who are viewing this thread

A Jones

Reaction score
I need to buy 3 new toilets for a remodel.
I am looking for a QUIET, POWERFUL, ONE-PIECE toilet.
I'd like to go with KOHLER, to match sinks and tubs.
Any suggestions?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Is the existing stuff white? If so, there are some good matches in other brands. Toto makes two whites, and lists the other brands that are compatible. If the stuff is not white, there is still a possibility you can get a match. Most manufacturers list a cross-reference color chart. How close the match is is an open point.

Last edited by a moderator:

JDkimes

Engineer
Reaction score
I'm not a plumber but just put a Toto Drake elongated in my new bathroom.
It's very quiet, fast, powerful flush, but not one piece.
But I'd think if you bought a Toto one piece as long as it had the G-Max flush you'd get the same quiet, powerful.
The Toto Carlyle looks like it fits that bill.
Terry has lots of toilet suggestions, maybe you can buy it from him.

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
MS874114SG_zoom.jpg

From personal experience I highly recommend the Toto Carlyle. Tried one, and then replaced all our toilets well over a year ago, no problems they work great. Just recommended one to a friend who is now getting a second one.

LonnythePlumber

Plumber, Contractor, Attorney
Reaction score
Color Match?

The only reason to match name brands on fixtures is color. There is an advantage to having the same faucet manufacturer. I consider Kohler's to be problematic and would avoid them if possible. If you do get a Kohler then you had better get a plunger also.

Brian S.

Reaction score
If you go with Kohler, you could go with the Cimarron, but instead of a plunger, you should buy a toilet brush for this one. It does flush good, but is more prone to skid marks than the others. I have one, and this is my only complaint about it. However, I would much rather give a quick scrub of the brush than to be constantly plunging and double and triple flushing. Like Terry has said, it is much better than the Wellworth toilet, despite the bowl wash issue. If I have to replace my other toilet though, I'll get a Toto, and do a "head to head" comparison. Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck for whatever toilet you choose,

Brian

hudson75

Reaction score
Insatalled a Kohler Cimarron elongated last week. Love it. Don't know why I waited so long. Load it heavy, use lots of paper "I'm an old man" one flush and its gone. Previously never less then three. and the some times clog.

hudson75

Reaction score
Not sure . Bought the house new six years ago.
Spec home.
Most everthing ontractor grade . The wife scrubed the decal off early on. Could have mentioned. I replaced my self. Piece of cake. Only problem I fogot to get new T bolts. Had to make a quick trip to Lowes. Also used a couple of shimes under the aft part. to make every thing solid this is a slab foundation . I'm 77, only mention cause it ain't that bad a job.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you want more complete bowl wash, I would be checking the Toto line.

The Toto Cotton White is a good match to the Kohler White.
Toto Sedona Beige matches Kohler Biscuit
Toto Bone matches Kohler Almond.

Good flush, good rinse, Easy installation, fairly quiet.

I've used the Cimarron too, it plugs more than the Toto, and misses some of the bowl wash.

Best toilet out there?
Maybe the Toto Soiree and Guinevere.
Comfort height, skirted bowl, softclose seat, Sangloss glazing, amazing looks, swirling double cyclone rinse, excellent flush.

soiree_angle.jpg

Last edited:
D

dc_homeplumber

Gerber makes a one-piece with the Flushmate. The model name for this toilet is the Maurice and Gerber still carries many colors that have been out of "style" for years. I have also read on various websites that the newest version of the Flushmate that Gerber is now using is as quiet as a regular gravity toilet. Terry Love could probably get it or order it for you if you live in his area, but if not, check them out at www.gerberonline.com.

Good luck.

DaveT

Reaction score
More questions on using a new toilet

Hello, everyone,

I'm new to this Forum and Terry's evaluations and the MAP report, and have found them very helpful in my quest for the "right" replacement toilet. In particular, they led me away from the Kohler Wellworth Highline, which I had kind of homed-in on before reading the MAP ratings.

I had then pretty much decided on a Kohler Cimarron until I read about its bowl cleaning deficiencies, and now am uncertain again. Perhaps some of you can comment.

I had picked the Cimarron as a lower cost, more readily available alternative to the Toto line. I was looking for the following features in addtion to good flush/bowl cleaning performance: ADA "Comfort" height w/ elongated bowl, concealed trapway, 'conventional' appearance, in white. The concealed trapway has proven difficult to find, at least in conventional reasonably priced toilets. The Cimarron has all except concealed trapway.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Cimarron does not have good bowl wash, we know that.
The tank goes on easily, but has no sanitary dam to prevent urine from getting under the tank.
It does plug sometimes.
For most people though, it will be a step up in performance.

It you want something better, you can look at the Toto,

Even better than that is the Toto Drake ADA which goes for more money but has very good performance.

TOTO Drake 800 grams by Veritech, Video

Last edited:

Cybermonkey

Reaction score
Need low water use toilet for home restoration...

Hi Everyone,

We're restoring a 1910 bungalow. Need a toilet that will help keep our water usage down (so that we can continue to use original septic system) that will also look good in a traditional bathroom. The other fixtures are an original clawfoot tub, and the St. Thomas Creations Liberty pedestal sink. We've ordered the kohler Memoirs round-bowl toilet, but now I'm wondering if we're going to regret this decision in the long run. Anyone have any suggestions, or experience with the Memoirs toilet?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Memoirs is either like the Wellworth, if it has the 2" flapper, or it's like the Cimarron, with a large flapper.
St Thomas makes some Quadro flush toilets that may go with the lav.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
soiree_angle.jpg

Toto Soiree

Hi Everyone,

We're restoring a 1910 bungalow. Need a toilet that will help keep our water usage down (so that we can continue to use original septic system) that will also look good in a traditional bathroom. The other fixtures are an original clawfoot tub, and the St. Thomas Creations Liberty pedestal sink. We've ordered the kohler Memoirs round-bowl toilet, but now I'm wondering if we're going to regret this decision in the long run. Anyone have any suggestions, or experience with the Memoirs toilet?

I don't know anything about those particular fixtures, but I have a Toto Soiree which has sort of a classic look to it. It has Toto's new "double cyclone" bowl wash which i HIGHLY recommend.

jscavo

Reaction score
any color match issues with the st thomas creations and toto fixtures?

Cybermonkey

Reaction score
Now we're thinking of going with either the Toto Dartmouth or the Clayton. Problem is we already have a 10" rough in. Can we buy the unifit adapter to change the rough-in on these as well? Also, do either of these come in a round bowl, and if not, is the elongated bowl an issue with keeping it clean?

cst784_01.jpg

Toto Clayton

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Dartmouth and Clayton need 11-1/4" to work.
Toto with the Unifit, and be used with a 10" Unifit.
Guinevere
Soiree
Carrollton

ms974_01.jpg

TOTO Guinevere

flange_03.jpg

abak_carrollton.jpg

CST774S TOTO Carrollton

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks