Choosing a water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

CarlH

Reaction score
Since my current water heater is 14 years old, I decided I would look into a replacement water heater before it becomes an urgent matter. Based upon the comments here I plan to go with a Bradford White. The problem is there are a few models to choose from. I am looking at replacing a 50 gallon natural gas atmospheric vent model. There are two models that I am looking at, the M2XR(maybe M1XR) and the M4.

Any thoughts on these models? Do those heat traps installed on the inlet and outlet ever cause any problems? Anything else I should consider?

No power vent models. I like reliable hot water even when the power is out.

bw_defender_label.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I have had no problems with Bradford White water heaters...
It just might be why I use them!:D

Wraujr

Reaction score
In Same Boat

Same thing as you Carl. 50 gallon Nat Gas with regular draft hood, no power vent.

Is the 101-B spec sheet series good?? Model # M-I-5036FBN
Residential Atmospheric Vent Energy Saver Gas Water Heater

What do you get by going to 10 year warranty?? Is mfgr process different?? This would be model M-I-50310FBN

Are there any BWs to avoid??

Last edited:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Going with Red here. BW makes quality stuff. But hey, if you like aggravation you can get a Whirlpool :D

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The difference between a 6yr & 10yr is the price!
You get the same water heater and pay more for it.
The supply house punches in a different number for guarantee purposes and you get the same water heater.
Buy the 6 it should make 10 easy.
Fool the bank!

Wraujr

Reaction score
Thanks great advice on 6 vs 10

I was looking at the basic model for NG with Atmos Vent.

Any advantage to these fast recovery, etc. versions???

I assume FVIR is mandatory???

CarlH

Reaction score
wraujr,
I goofed when I was posting the model numbers. I was looking at the MI5036FBN and the M45036FBN. The M4 version is a high Energy Factor(EF) model. It think it is probably nothing more than some extra insulation over the MI and probably a higher price. The XR Extra recovery models look like they have a higher BTU per hour rating (larger burner?) and are able to get back to usable hot water faster than the other two model. I don't think I need the XR model since we generally do not run out of hot water that often. Most of the time we wash clothes with cold water and the all of the shower heads are 2gpm models. Either way it looks like there should not be any problems with either of these models.

nhmaster,
I'll pass on the Whirlpool Flamelock. I thought I said I wanted reliable hot water:), not guaranteed aggravation:mad:.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I concur with the previous responders. Either the Bradford White or the GE/Rheem would be good choices. I would not pay for the extended warranty either. Those are never a good deal. Assume you go for 8 or 9 years and it fails. They will only pro rate the cost of a replacement, and you will get far less than the extra cost you paid.

Wraujr

Reaction score
Diff is in Insulation

Description for M-4 EF is:
2" Non-CFC Foam Insulation—Covers the side and top, reducing the
amount of heat loss. This results in less energy consumption, improved
operation efficiencies and jacket rigidity.

While the M-I is only 1"

So your guess was right, its the insulation.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heater

They will only pro rate the cost of a replacement,

???????????Have you ever exchanged a water heater under warranty? If so, and they prorated it, you were cheated. EVERY company's warranty is a no-charge, except maybe for paperwork fees, replacement up until the day the warranty expires.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
To correct the misconceptions about extended warranty on regular residental, water heaters,
#1 all extra warranty heaters have a extra anode rod, under the hot water nipple
#2 they have a brass drain valve, not plastic like the 6 year heaters

#3 the extra money is for the insurance policy to cover the extra years in case of failure,

if you have to replace a water heater under warranty either 6 yr. Or 12 yr.

You get the prorated warranty " not" a whole new warranty,
the property owner pays for shipping and handling charges, plus paying for the change out labor,parts, and any required permits

this is in writing in the small print as they say !

Nothing in life is for free don't you know !

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
To correct the misconceptions about extended warranty on regular residental, water heaters,
#1 all extra warranty heaters have a extra anode rod, under the hot water nipple
#2 they have a brass drain valve, not plastic like the 6 year heaters

#3 the extra money is for the insurance policy to cover the extra years in case of failure,

if you have to replace a water heater under warranty either 6 yr. Or 12 yr.

You get the prorated warranty " not" a whole new warranty,
the property owner pays for shipping and handling charges, plus paying for the change out labor,parts, and any required permits

this is in writing in the small print as they say !

Nothing in life is for free don't you know !

Jerry Bradford White is the same water heater for 6 or 10!

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
forget the efficinet one Just PUT A BLANKET ON IT

wraujr,
I goofed when I was posting the model numbers. I was looking at the MI5036FBN and the M45036FBN. The M4 version is a high Energy Factor(EF) model. It think it is probably nothing more than some extra insulation over the MI and probably a higher price. The XR Extra recovery models look like they have a higher BTU per hour rating (larger burner?)

we get asked for the energy effieicnt one all the time
because the stupid the gas company is giving away a whole $100 rebate if you get the better one... it has to have a .62 energy rateing..(none of them have it)

the normal 50 gal Brad white has a .59 rateing...

no one in town is carrying the higher rated water heater cause the price for the .62 unit is well over double plus what the normal one is.......

A water heater blanket cost 15 bucks..

and putting one on any brand of heater will probably still save you %25% on the gas bill and extend the life of the heater quite a while

--------------------------------------------------------------

people dont like the pro rated thing with the heaters..

we go out and charge them a labor bill for the installation of a new heater but they are usually pissed that they dont get another full 6 year warranty

I ususally tell them that they are getting a brand new heater still in a box that would come with a 6 year warranty in going in any other home....just not for their warranty replacement

usually that makes them settle down somewhat
when they pay the change out bill

[video=youtube;nfcbZqRSKIQ]

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
While I can't speak for Brad White... Rheem and A.O. Smith will give you another 6 yr. warranty if you are up grading from the old style to the VIFR style and pay a $70.00 up grade fee...so that is not to bad....another 6 yr. warranty for $70.00

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
I replaced a few Bradford Whites (the ones with old styles burners) under warranty, there is a mandatory upgrade fee for the VIFR unit which does come with a fresh warranty. Now if it a VIFR unit that was defective, when replaced it will just have the remainder of the warranty of the heater it replaced.

Now only time I ever got hit with paper work fees by the supply houses is when I am not the one that originally purchased the heater. I as well as my customers find this annoying. Also with Bradford White, AO Smith, and Rheem suppliers I always end up paying for the warrantied heater and get reimbursed when they get reimbursed. As for State water heaters, I never got charged paper work fees and they never charge me for the heater. They do have the upgrade fee as well though.

CarlH

Reaction score
we get asked for the energy effieicnt one all the time
because the stupid the gas company is giving away a whole $100 rebate if you get the better one... it has to have a .62 energy rateing..(none of them have it)

the normal 50 gal Brad white has a .59 rateing...

no one in town is carrying the higher rated water heater cause the price for the .62 unit is well over double plus what the normal one is.......

A water heater blanket cost 15 bucks..

and putting one on any brand of heater will probably still save you %25% on the gas bill and extend the life of the heater quite a while

Thanks, that is good to know. I'm surprised that they charge that much more for the extra insulation. No rebates in this area as far as I know, so there isn't much extra incentive to get the .62 unit. I guess I'll do the blanket thing on the regular 50gal.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Very, very, bad ideal ! ! !

On putting blanket on gas water heater, because you must make sure not to cover "any" air openings and with the side vents it's very easy for the blanket to slide down blocking the air inlets, and according to the law you are required to post all "safety" warning labels on the outside of the blanket

all above reasons why mfg's make extra installation water heaters,

CarlH

Reaction score
Very, very, bad ideal ! ! !

On putting blanket on gas water heater, because you must make sure not to cover "any" air openings and with the side vents it's very easy for the blanket to slide down blocking the air inlets, and according to the law you are required to post all "safety" warning labels on the outside of the blanket

all above reasons why mfg's make extra installation water heaters,

Warning about the blocking the air vents noted, although I will be certain not to do that in the first place.

The funny thing about warning labels is that the people that should read them don't and the people that know enough have read them. The real reason why they are there are for liability reasons. For a plumber, it would be a bad idea to cover up that label for a customer for liability reasons. I will take this into consideration before buying an installing a heater blanket.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks