Chipping/Demolition hammer recommendations

Users who are viewing this thread

JeffH

Reaction score
Looking for a good chipping & demolition hammer for light to medium concrete removal or bathroom remodels and internal pipe repair/replacement. Portability is a big issue and or course working in tighter spaces. Also need it for my current home project which is removing about 800 sq ft of tile (inluding thinset) from concrete. Was looking at a Hilti 700 series breaker hammer but they are kinda expensive, but if that's the best I'll spend the bucks. I didn't think the 500 series had enough gumption, but of course I could be wrong.

Thanks,
Jeff
Irvine, CA

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
Hilti's are always reliable, but Bosch units are pretty decent as well. I am still trying to choose between a bosch unit and a heavy duty milwaukee unit, but it's a tough choice.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Bosch 11224VSR

I rescued one of these:
bos11224vsr.jpg
from a dumpster a couple of years ago. It had been rode hard and put away wet for years at work, and they decided to dump it because it was intermittent -- would run, stop, and start again without warning. I took it apart, cut off about 6" of the cord to eliminate the break in one of the conductors where it entered the handle, and it was good for another 10,000 miles.

I love this thing. In spite of its light weight, it does a great job. I used it to remove a couple of hundred sqft of marble flooring and ceramic tile, have broken up concrete with it, drilled lots of holes, etc. Bits aren't cheap, but they're not outrageous. The wide chisel bit makes short work of removing tile, etc. The only thing I've wanted that it doesn't have is an attachment to drive ground rods, but I'm going to make one for mine.

Even though my price was especially right, it's well worth the $190 from Bosch, or the ~$220 at Lowe's.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Grizzly Industrial has a very good 3 function hammer/drill for just over $100. It's definitely not for major demos, but it may be sized and priced right for you. I've used mine to break out concrete and drill holes in concrete. The use SDS bits and it comes with some bits and chisels.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks