Chicago Quaturn Faucet Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

gusz

Reaction score
I'm replacing the brass cartridge(s) on a Chicago Quaturn faucet in a bathtub. The new cartridge(s) turns very easily, such that the weight of the handle(s) causes them to move down, closing the faucet(s). Is there a way to adjust the drag in the cartridge so that the faucet will remain in the set position? Thx, Gus

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You actually have more than one problem. QuaTurn valves are designed so the water flow helps them turn off, The weight of the handles combined with the water flow makes it worse, and the stem packing, because it is not adjustable does not help either.

gusz

Reaction score
You actually have more than one problem. QuaTurn valves are designed so the water flow helps them turn off, The weight of the handles combined with the water flow makes it worse, and the stem packing, because it is not adjustable does not help either.
There must be some solution, because the previous cartridges didn't have this problem, although they were work and leaked even when shut off. Gus

gusz

Reaction score
Try putting a small "O" ring over the stem to put more pressure on the packing gasket. I assume you used ALL the parts when you replaced the stem.
The stem O-ring(s) were supplied with the (new) cartridge(s). I added a thin washer(s) between the cartridge and the stem O-Ring(s), which increases the pressure on the O-Ring against the cap, and that does increase the drag so that the handle(s) do not fall/close of their own weight. Now the hot faucet works correctly but the cold faucet does not shut off. On the cold side, I can feel the quarter turn between closed and open, but closed does not shut off the water. It did shut off before (although it had the insufficient drag problem), and I can't figure out what I might have done to damage it. Any ideas? Thx, Gus

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Apparently, you are not pushing the stem into the body correctly, possibly because of that thin metal washer. The cap MUST push the cartridge against the seat in the body.

gusz

Reaction score
Apparently, you are not pushing the stem into the body correctly, possibly because of that thin metal washer. The cap MUST push the cartridge against the seat in the body.
Turns out I had left out the O-ring between the cartridge metal seat and the faucet body. All is well, and thanks to "hj" for all the help!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks