Chicago faucet tool

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Hairyhosebib, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Hairyhosebib

Hairyhosebib New Member

Chicago tool 1.jpg Chicago tool 2.jpg

Hopefully here are a couple of pics of a tool or really a helper for repairing Chicago faucets that use the QUATURN cartridge. I made this out of resin, a two part liquid plastic that cures by a thermal reaction. As nice and expensive as a Chicago faucet is, the cartridge has a tendency to come apart. How that nut that holds the parts on the stem comes loose is a mystery to me. Once my handy dandy helper is installed , I screw on a 90 degree elbow, then a nipple and another elbow to direct the flow into the sink and then I can turn the water on to blast the loose parts out. I found some original cork cap gaskets and siliconed it in place to help seal out drips. So far two field tests on a vertical stem faucet has proved to be very efficient. A master part was created and then a silicone mold was made and then the part was made. Resin casting is pretty interesting stuff.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    someone is NOT assembling the faucet correctly. I have worked on Chicago faucets for over 60 years and cannot remember EVER having to 'fish' parts out because they came apart.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Hairyhosebib

Hairyhosebib New Member

When I go into a laboratory that I know is only maybe a couple of years old and find a cartridge like that I'm pretty certain it has not been tampered with by anyone. I have seen this happen many many times in my 30 some years working on these faucets. It is just the weirdest thing. These cartridges are not that complicated, a monkey could do it. Got a banana?