Checking Water pressure

Discussion in 'Water Heater Forum, Tanks' started by ally68, Feb 21, 2014.

1. ally68

ally68 New Member

I am installing an expansion tank with my new water heater.
    To get a static reading of my water pressure I got a watts pressure gauge.
    My question is can I just screw it on to the hose connector on bottom of water heater or do I have to use and outside hose connector (cold outside).
    and do I set the pressure on tank to exactly the same as gauge or a little more or less?

Thanks for your help
  2. Reach4

Reach4 Active Member

3. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

A washing machine hookup uses the same hose thread.
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

FWIW, when the expansion tank is installed and the water is turned on, unless the air pressure you precharge the tank is higher than the supplied water pressure, the air pressure in the tank will ALWAYS be the same as the water pressure applied. Set the ET's precharge pressure to about the same as your static water pressure...as long as you're close, it will relieve the stress on the bladder and you'll get the advertised volume out of it. In that way, the water pressure and the air pressure will offset each other, and the bladder will be sitting at its 'nominal' position. Think about two people pushing against each other...if both sides are equal, neither moves, no matter what the actual pressure is.