Checking on plumbing from bad contractor

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by plumbinghelpny, Aug 21, 2013.

1. plumbinghelpny

plumbinghelpny New Member

Hello , i am currently having my home renovated due to hurricane sandy . the contractor we had messed up literally everything he done and is now fired from the job so we must do everything ourselves. I am a tile guy myself and plumbing is not my forte really even though i have done some before. I wanted to check and see if what this contractor did is any type of acceptable. Im thinking its not but i will let you guys decide if it is and how it should be ran to fix it. I have no problem taking it out and doing it the right way .

The part i need the help with is the kitchen sink plumbing. I will post pics below. The old way the sink was ran was with a p-trap and going horizontally through the wall on a slight slope going down to the main drain line and vent. Im guessing this is what a wet vent system is ?could be wrong

The contractor changed that for god knows what reason and ran it under the subfloor with a improper slope sloping down towards the sink instead of away from it and coming up vertically through the floor directly under what will be the drain in the sink. Theres no trap or anything on it yet either. The pipe goes to the main drain on a t and a few inches from that t is i think a sanitary T going to what i believe is the roof vent which travels up the wall. It turns into a cast iron pipe halfway up the wall from the pvc at the bottom. The sink pipe looks to be about 2" and the main and vent look to be about 4 or 5"

Any help on whats the best way to run this?

This is how it used to be ran
    [​IMG]

This is how its ran at this time.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for the help

I was thinking it should have been ran something like this but how would i do that best in my situation
    http://www.familyhandyman.com/kitchen/how-to-plumb-an-island-sink/view-all
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  2. asktom

asktom Member

I think lots of folks are looking and nobody is commenting because we can't really tell what is going on aside from a number of things being wrong. Drains that go uphill are bad.
  3. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

I think astom's comment is right on target. There is a common term that comes to my mind that I won't quote here, but it begins with "Cluster". You folks have been going through Hell since that storm and I know the end is still a long way off. There's so much wrong that it would be futile for even the best journeyman plumber on this forum to fix it on line. The best advice I can offer is to get a licensed plumbing contractor to go over the entire "Cluster" and fix it right. Don't just cover it up and hope for the best...you'll end up in worse condition.
  4. plumbinghelpny

I know what you mean and i do know at least a couple things thats wrong with it. However the even worse news is we are out 29k right now with this contractor we fired and honestly dont have the money to hire a plumber to do it unfortunatly. I can pretty much do everything in a home as good as any legit contractor. Only reason i didnt renovate the house myself is due to my bad back. Now unfortunatly im stuck doing the whole house myself anyway and doing even more work to fix the dozens upon dozons of horrible mistakes tis contractor made. The only thing im not great at is knowing how the plumbing goes according to code. I do know the basic concept of the plumber (ie. all fixtures minus toilet must be trapped and vented to roof and fixtures usually on a slope of 1/4"per ft to the main line so it doesnt break the water seal on the p-trap etc. Stuff i dont know is how to accomplish that with the needed size piping for runs,length of runs etc. I am confident with the help on that it can get done correctly. Any kind plumbers here that can tell me off the bat what they see and things to change? I know its asking a lot but i dont have much other choice right now unfortunatly. I can take more pics and answer questions on how everything is running now. I also know even before the contractor changed everything is wasnt exactly correct but it has never had any issues for many years. No backups ever,no foul smells or gurgling,sinks and toilets drain pretty normal etc. Im guessing before it must have been vented somehow to not have these probs. never had a aav on any fixtures either.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Your pictures and description are very hard to put together to tell HOW it should be installed. The picture you posted, however is for an 'island sink" and your photos do not seem to indicate that is what you have. If those "white" pipes are drains, however, they used the wrong fittings for their connections. My question would be that if a "plumber" who should have had proper training could not do it correctly, how are you going to do it with just a few e-mails? And, you paid $29K without verifying how the work was being done, or waiting for the building inspectors?
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  6. plumbinghelpny

Let me see if i can make the pics a little more understandable. The sink is a kitchen sink . Yes, not a island sink. The pvc pipes are drains and a roof vent going up the wall. This guy who did the work was a licenced contractor however he has no training or knowhow on anything from plumbing to electric to even drywall. Guy has done everything 100% wrong. We tried making him do somthings over and it just got worse. We figured he would sub a plumber and electrician but when got home found it he already did the work himself wrong. The reason we didnt see the work being done is because while i was at work the entire subfloor got done in just a few hours so we couldnt see anything underneath. After we told him to go when we found a bunch of other things wrong we decided to take up the floor and see what else he did.There we found everything wrong and a total careless nitemare. There was no permits pulled as the buiding dept told the whole community that they were waiving the permits due to the hurricane. Turns out the rep from the building dept was a idiot and told the whole community the wrong thing. They actually just waived the fees not the permits themself. We will be taking the contractor to court and should easily win but we cant go without a home much longer as its been almost a year now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

basically where the sink goes the 1.5" pipe runs out of the floor vertically ,below the floor it slopes about 1/4" in 8ft and then turns into the main drain line 4or5"pvc for the house which goes all the way to the main trap at the sidewalk . Next to where the sink goes into the main is a sanitary t or wye which tees of to the vent stack(4or5"pvc) whic travels up the wall to the roof. Thats about it really. On the right end of the main line is 2" pipe that runs to the upstairs plumbing but thats always been like that as far as my knowledge .
  7. plumbinghelpny

really need the help guys.

maybe this will help a little more . I drew this up on how i think the first floor is ran .Does any of this look ok or not. The bathroom looks to be ok for sure from what iv read on wet venting. Not sure about the kitchen sink though. Also id hate to use a AAv but according to ny code it is acceptable to use one so if anything can i use a aav on the kitchen sink? In the drawing one thing i drew wrong .the sink connecting to the main line connects between the toilet drain and the vent on the main line ,not before it.

[​IMG]
  8. ajones149

ajones149 New Member

suggestion

I agree fully, no Idea which direction this is going in. You should e-mail your pictures to a plumber or company that can help you step by step for a small fee instead of having to come do all the work.. try contacting http://www.aramendiadallas.com/ a friend of mine needed help with and they works perfectly. Hope this helps!
  9. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

The way you have it drawn, that "vent" is completely useless and therefore it makes no difference where the sink connects to the main line, it is still no vented. Why does the shower "vent" have an inverted "U" configuration? NONE of the connections to the horizontal drain line should be sanitary tees.
  10. plumbinghelpny

so the main large vent off the main does nothing ? I was kinda wondering how it would work. The kitchen sink i am most likely going to add a AAv since they are ok to use in my area although i know not preferred.

The inverted U i think you are talking about that says air vent is not for a shower .Its on the main line by the front of the house outside the house. I guess it lets in fresh air or lets out sewer gasses. Not exactly sure but i do see it on all the homes in my area. Maybe it has something to do with where i live and us being at sea level.Streets and sewers here flood daily from the tidewater. Part of the reason why im redoing my whole home due to hurricane Sandy putting 6+ feet of water in my house.
  11. plumbinghelpny