Check Valves necessary for a 220' submersible well setup on a 1-1/4 drop pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Xlr8tion

P.E. (Professional Engineer)
Reaction score
US's largest pump/well supply house, with online site to buy parts for well installs?

Anyone know of the a large online accessible site to buy check valves, cable guards, torque aresstor and etc?

And will sell to consumers?

Don't want to pay shipping to six different companies.....

Thanks.....

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
First off I wouldn't use cable guards or torque arrestors. Just use double jacketed wire and don't let the pump cycle on and off. There are several places to order from. Try wwpp, thepumpwharehouse, ace2o.

Xlr8tion

Reaction score
OK...I will use waterproof pipe tape. I don't get not using a torque arrestor. The pump weighs 40lbs and when it kicks on it rotates, even ever so slightlity, CCW-what harm does a Torque arrestor do? I know check valves are a waste but to stabilize the 3.9" pump in the 4" casing seems logical.

LMK what you are referring to as I have read alot of your posts and do respect your knowledge and back ground.

Oh...another question.....reusing the drop pipe....do you recommend replacing the PVC SCH 80 couplings with Brass FNPT's-they do crazy stuff here in SC and I have 10 PVC couplings that I bet one will be cracked.

Thanks!

Xlr8tion

Reaction score
First off I wouldn't use cable guards or torque arrestors. Just use double jacketed wire and don't let the pump cycle on and off. There are several places to order from. Try wwpp, thepumpwharehouse, ace2o.

Hey Valveman..Did not recognize you...BTW...I have one of your CSV2W(looks like it) from 2001! Works fantastic!!!!!!

Xlr8tion

Reaction score
CSV's rule

Yes...it is da' bomb! The CSV......

Somehow Brian sticks in my head as you name-but then I am 49 going on 94-LOL!

Oh.....Hey...are Class 150 SS 316 a strong enough rating for couplings? I have a new 16 gpm 1.5HP G-fos going in down to 220'?

The PSI is like 20 atmospheres-300PSI

Or should I just go w/the galvanized iron? It's a potable well...

Thanks and when are you moving to Antigua with all that CSV cash?....:rolleyes:

Regards....Greg in AIken SC

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
150 class flanges are good to like 600 PSI. I don’t know about 150 class threaded couplings, but I would expect about the same thing. Lots of people use galv couplings.

I have been very naïve. Only recently did I find out the pump industry classifies the CSV as a “disruptive product”. In the same way the invention of the refrigerator was a disruptive product for the icehouse industry, the automobile was a disruptive product for the horse and buggy industry, the computer closed down the typewriter industry, and the digital camera caused the destruction of the film industry, the CSV is disruptive to the pump industry.

The CSV makes pumps last longer, use smaller pressure tanks, and eliminates multiple other pump system problems. Therefore, only the most intelligent, honest, and reputable pump professionals use Cycle Stop Valves. All others will do or say anything they can to discredit the idea, as they see the CSV as a threat to their livelihood.

Pump/motor companies advertise features that make their pump better than the other guys. But when offered a real solution to make pumps last longer (the CSV), they want nothing to do with it. They spend the most money marketing products that make them the most profit (big tanks and VFD’s), not what is best for the end user. This proves all the “my pump is better than your pump” marketing is nothing but hype. Nobody really makes a “good” pump anymore, they just want you think they do. Manufacturers go to a lot of trouble designing in a “fail by date” for pumps, and the CSV shoots that in the foot.

Many people in the pump industry will say the CSV “destroys pumps, waste energy, even blows up pipe, to dissuade people from installing one. Thank goodness some people see through the hype, and even come back many years later and confirm it was hype. My real name is Cary, and thanks to people like you, I have made a fair living fighting the good fight for Cycle Stop Valves for almost 20 years now. However, I don’t see retiring to Antigua anytime soon. I just hope years from now, when I am dead and gone, that even cheaply made pumps will last a long time, because they all come with a version of a Cycle Stop Valve built right into the pump. Of course that means common sense will have struck down corporate deceit and government incompetence, so you may see pigs fly first. :)

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Torque arrestors are a joke, but I think the cable guards really save the wire. And if they are light and loose enough, cannot bugger up and cause a stuck pump. One time I ran the wire - THHN - inside a pvc pipe. Still going after 20 years.

Xlr8tion

Reaction score
Hard Work, Inventiveness and Initiative....The real 1 per cent!

Hey Cary.....

God bless you man.

We need more entrepremeurs, such as yourself, to rescue this faltering economy of ours. More important; re instill the concept of risk and reward vs lack of responsibility and the "hand out" mentality.

You really are the "Horatio Alger" story of the pump supply world.

I paid 5K for my well/pump/CSV and only the extreme sand took the pump down after 11 yrs. Yet the CSV keeps on and on!

What a product and success story.

We need more guys like you; many of us have become to "risk adverse" to accomplish what you have.

I don't mean to diminish all the great forum members here as they are exceptional people; but when you create an "niche industry" that rocks the pump world-you really have defined your self with excellence.

Kudos to you man!

Regards....Greg;)

PS..Regarding those couplings...the Class 150 is 20ATM and it goes up to Class 3000-usually for flanges(as you stated) companies like Merit Brass now assign it to fittings (Brass is Class 125) as and indicator of max W.O.G. psi as it relates class to class. You are right on the galvanized-I'll return my 100 dollars of 12 couplings and spend 25 on 12 Galvanized Iron couplings. I'm overthinking/spending this project.

150 class flanges are good to like 600 PSI. I don’t know about 150 class threaded couplings, but I would expect about the same thing. Lots of people use galv couplings.

I have been very naïve. Only recently did I find out the pump industry classifies the CSV as a “disruptive productâ€. In the same way the invention of the refrigerator was a disruptive product for the icehouse industry, the automobile was a disruptive product for the horse and buggy industry, the computer closed down the typewriter industry, and the digital camera caused the destruction of the film industry, the CSV is disruptive to the pump industry.

The CSV makes pumps last longer, use smaller pressure tanks, and eliminates multiple other pump system problems. Therefore, only the most intelligent, honest, and reputable pump professionals use Cycle Stop Valves. All others will do or say anything they can to discredit the idea, as they see the CSV as a threat to their livelihood.

Pump/motor companies advertise features that make their pump better than the other guys. But when offered a real solution to make pumps last longer (the CSV), they want nothing to do with it. They spend the most money marketing products that make them the most profit (big tanks and VFD’s), not what is best for the end user. This proves all the “my pump is better than your pump†marketing is nothing but hype. Nobody really makes a “good†pump anymore, they just want you think they do. Manufacturers go to a lot of trouble designing in a “fail by date†for pumps, and the CSV shoots that in the foot.

Many people in the pump industry will say the CSV “destroys pumps, waste energy, even blows up pipe, to dissuade people from installing one. Thank goodness some people see through the hype, and even come back many years later and confirm it was hype. My real name is Cary, and thanks to people like you, I have made a fair living fighting the good fight for Cycle Stop Valves for almost 20 years now. However, I don’t see retiring to Antigua anytime soon. I just hope years from now, when I am dead and gone, that even cheaply made pumps will last a long time, because they all come with a version of a Cycle Stop Valve built right into the pump. Of course that means common sense will have struck down corporate deceit and government incompetence, so you may see pigs fly first. :)

Xlr8tion

Reaction score
BV-how often do you place yours?

Every 10 or 20 ft?

I am trying to find somewhere that sells them for less than 2.50/each-what a racket!

I am running 12/2 THW and safety cable as the guy i have hired has the "budwiser grip" and "oops" wont retrieve my pump from the bottom of a 500' deep aquifer!

Pro's like valve man don't like them but the rednecks in SC $#%^@ everything up. No pride in their work-sad to say so the safety cable is a must.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks