Check Valve or Ball Valve to HOLD PRIME

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by Mike Pastorelli, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Mike Pastorelli

Mike Pastorelli New Member

I have decided on a different course with my well.
    I will be using a 1/2 HP FLOTEC pump and I will be just using my well for irrigation.
    I dont want to install a check valve to hold my prime. Can I install a ball valve?
    So once I get it her flowing and then when I finish watering, I would just close the ball valve and pull the plug on the pump. This should hold the prime, correct? This will work?
    Thanks
  2. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

You could do that but you would want it on the input of the pump unless you have a pressure cutoff switch on the output and before the Ball Valve input.

Or turn the power off before closing the valve.
  3. ballvalve

ballvalve General Engineering Contractor

Why make it so hard? Use a check valve.
  4. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

That would be easier.

I thought that you would favor a Ballvalve for some reason.
  5. Chad Schloss

Chad Schloss Member

"I thought that you would favor a Ballvalve for some reason. "

lol :)
  6. ballvalve

ballvalve General Engineering Contractor

Funny. All valves have their issues, but a ballvalve not regularly used gums up and might not be useable at all. Disc valves are nice because they are balanced to the pressure. A good gate valve is still hard to beat.