check valve on submersible and pside kick?

Users who are viewing this thread

Johnny Turner

Reaction score
So I was wondering if someone could tell me if I need 2 check valves in place one for the pside kick and one for the submersible?or just put one after the pside kick and none after the submersible?

Attachments

• check valve.jpg
    check valve.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 425

Reach4

Reaction score
I am pretty sure the answer would be that you should only have the one at the pump.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
You definitely need one on the pump and its standard practice here in Ct to install one at the tank also.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A check valve above ground is illegal in Texas, Michigan, and other states that understand a negative pressure in an underground water line can lead to contamination issues. The main reason I don't like them is the water hammer that is caused by any additional check valve other than the one on the pump.

Johnny Turner

Reaction score
A check valve above ground is illegal in Texas, Michigan, and other states that understand a negative pressure in an underground water line can lead to contamination issues. The main reason I don't like them is the water hammer that is caused by any additional check valve other than the one on the pump.

So I should just go with one check valve at the pump valveman?Also how far should I place this from the pump?I have already bought a 3/4 check valve for the pside kick but I can return it and just get one for the pump if that would be fine.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
There is usually a check valve with the pump. If you want to add another, use a 1" or 1 1/4" check valve as close to the pump as you can put it, like with a 3" nipple or shorter. Can even get a male X female check valve to screw right into the pump without a nipple. No other check valves are needed anywhere else in the drop pipe or above ground.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Texas Wellman sent me a copy of the Texas rule about check valves.

“b) A buried discharge line between the pump discharge and the pressure tank or pressure system in any installation, including a deep well turbine or a submersible pump, shall not be under negative pressure at any time. With the exception of jet pumps, a check valve or an air gap shall be installed in a water line between the well casing and the pressure tank. Either a check valve or an air gap, as applicable, shall be required on all irrigation well pumps whenever a pump is installed or repaired. All wells shall have either a check valve, or an air gap as applicable.”

This rule contradicts itself like many others. Installing a check valve between the wellhead and pressure tank CAUSES the underground line to be under negative pressure. So you can’t have a check valve above ground without causing the line to be “under negative pressure”. But the rule states, “a check valve MUST be installed between the well casing and pressure tank”. So which is it?????????

It would be nice if our government officials who are task with regulating water systems had actually seen a water system before making these rules. There are MANY Texas rules that contradict themselves, are outright wrong, or are 40 years old and don’t allow the use of any beneficial technology.

Our government agencies are full of politicians and engineers who have no practical experience. As a result our water systems are outdated, inefficient, overly expensive, and not safe. Our only saving grace is that there are a few good pump men who know how to bend the rules to make things work properly. And that only works because our state and federal engineers don’t understand how systems work or what they are looking at in the first place.

Johnny Turner

Reaction score
ok so I took the 3/4 check valve back and got a 1 1/4 check valve and nipple .I took some pictures so I can make sure this is what I need.
P3190002.jpgP3190003.jpg

So if this looks ok let me know .also the book I got with this submersible calls for 14 awg wire size for 365 foot run i only need around 25 foot of wire to reach my tank can i get this wire anywhere as long as it is 14 awg or do i need to get it for 2 wire submersible pump ?Do i need some special 14 awg wire for underwater use or is all awg 14 ok ?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Looks good, but you need to wrap that galvanized nipple with some good electric tape. Screwing steel into brass causes electrolysis and will eat that nipple out in a few months if you don't wrap it.

14 gauge wire is fine as long as it is suitable for submersible pumps. My favorite is double jacketed THHN direct burial cable.

Also I would use sch 80 or 120 threaded PVC pipe. I don't like to glue anything down the well like with that PVC male adapter in the picture.

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Looks good, but you need to wrap that galvanized nipple with some good electric tape. Screwing steel into brass causes electrolysis and will eat that nipple out in a few months if you don't wrap it..

Why not just use a brass nipple?

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Either brass or Stainless. There's no way in hell I would use a galvanized anything in a water system.

NH requires a check valve at the pressure tank.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Better off with a brass nipple, dissimilar metals don't get along.

I haven't seen a contamination issue that can be directly linked to a check valve at the tank, although I agree there is a possibility of it happening. Usually air will be pulled past the Oring in the pitless.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Better off with a brass nipple, dissimilar metals don't get along.

I agree, but you would be surprised how much wrapping with electric tape will help. I have seen 30 year old galvanized nipples screwed into a brass check valve that still look brand new after removing the old electric tape.

I haven't seen a contamination issue that can be directly linked to a check valve at the tank, although I agree there is a possibility of it happening. Usually air will be pulled past the Oring in the pitless.

If it can pull air through the pitless o-ring it can also pull dog do-do into the well. Some states may require a check valve above ground, but I spend my days telling people to take them out when they call me with water hammer or pressure switch chatter problems.

This is just one of many issues that shows our government officials are not all knowing as they claim to be. In Michigan check valves above ground are illegal. In NH they are mandatory. In Texas above ground check valves are required, but you cannot have negative pressure in an underground line, so your damned if you do and damned if you don’t. Personally I won’t have a check valve above ground because I don’t want to take the chance of dog do-do getting into my well.

Johnny Turner

Reaction score
Ok I will just swap that galvanized nipple for a brass nipple .Also I checked and that pvc adapter I have in the pic is sch 40 and the pipe I got to come from the tank to the house is sdr 26 is that going to cuase any troubles?Also I didn't think I would need a pitless in my 1500 gal tank?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks